• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Unpacking] Found Series Micro Formicarium by Byformica & their new liquid feeder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted December 4 2014 - 3:32 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Heya, ant people.

I've received my Found Series Micro Formicarium along with the new 'improved' liquid feeder.

Prior purchasing this, Drtrmiller repeatedly warned me that it was a very experimental nest, and after receiving it, I am inclined to agree.

IMG_2687_zps4eadcb52.jpg

Above was what I got from my package.

IMG_2688_zpsfe53c4e5.jpg

IMG_2690_zpsbe9b8aec.jpg

As you can see, the nest part can be replaced with other designs that were provided in the package. However, as I tried other designs out, I found out that only the one that came with the formicarium was really friction fit. The other two fitted but were loose.

IMG_2692_zps1977b572.jpg

Above is the size comparison with GroTube Test Tube Replacement. The real estate for ants is about the same for both and having seen both with my eyes, I will say that I prefer Grotube over this experimental formicarium. The Grotube seen above is currently housing a Lasius ant who came out of hibernation recently. She loves to dig around so, I filled the nest with substrate.

IMG_2693_zps9521d1cc.jpg

IMG_2695_zps72d2e011.jpg

IMG_2696_zps8fc4f30b.jpg

IMG_2697_zps9bf42641.jpg

IMG_2698_zpse9626075.jpg

The hole on the side is where you add water.

IMG_2699_zps4c6fdbaf.jpg

The hole on bottom can be used to pop the replaceable nest out. You can also replace cotton if it ever molds.

IMG_2704_zps7883a47e.jpg

The acrylic panel is not friction fit and the formicarium does not have any holding mechanism for me. I was told to use cotton to make it fit. I think you could use a cleanable sticky substance (or clay) to make it fit also.

IMG_2706_zps04498096.jpg

The right one is the new design for the liquid. The left one is the old design which one of my ants went inside, swum for a while, and came out all wet and sugary. She didn't drown however.

IMG_2707_zps3dbfff0e.jpg

IMG_2708_zps7bc7836f.jpg

IMG_2709_zps5ca90aa0.jpg

Me has no idea what those are.

IMG_2711_zps97c46ef2.jpg

Those are substrate which you may choose to fill the nest with and your ants will dig to make room as they see fit.

My conclusion is that this formicarium is really experimental. You are better off with Grotube.

Edited by dean_k, December 4 2014 - 5:56 PM.

#2 Offline prettycode - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:13 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

What are the various substrate substances? I see mulched bark, some mixed sand-looking granules, what else?

#3 Offline benjiwuf - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:16 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

There is some plaster, vermiculite, coconut fibers (if I'm not mistaken), black sand/gravel, white sand, and some dirt (not just regular dirt but more of a fluffy potting soil type. although it is not potting soil).

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 8 2015 - 9:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I really wish you would have used this on your Lasius. These stay a lot wetter than the GroTube, similar to a subterranean environment.  

I had a Lasius queen and small colony in one with the 4 row layout, and they were doing really well for months until I accidentally left them in my bathroom with a space heater running unattended on over 100F for hours—that quickly killed them off.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted January 8 2015 - 10:55 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

My Lasius is staying in Tar Heel Ants growth chamber for the time being because she is doing very well in there.

I will have more colonies eventually, Besides from what I've ordered from Crystals, I also have two more colonies coming from someone else. The Found experimental nest will get its chance in due time.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 8 2015 - 10:59 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Certainly, I wasn't suggesting you move them from something they appeared to be doing well in.  

Just know that I have used this with many species of ants, especially earlier last year; and despite how different it is, it does have some advantages, especially in how moist the nest gets, and being able to hot-swap the acrylic if it gets debris on it.

Looking forward to you trying it out :~)

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users