• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Would this make a good formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted July 26 2017 - 10:33 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Macedonia

Would this screw box make a good formicarium if I put holes between the cells?

V3eVHU5.jpg

#2 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted July 26 2017 - 10:51 AM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Certainly. The issues you'd have for a setup like this are hydration and making it escape proof. I recommend some aquarium safe silicone around the edges to seal it up.

Check out this post from user Crystals on making a formicarium out of a bead container, which looks just like this. The pictures are down currently, but I think she's actively working to remedy that, and the descriptions are great. Link below.

http://www.formicult...icture +journey

Edited by Cameron C. Thomas, July 26 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#3 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted July 26 2017 - 10:54 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Macedonia

Certainly. The issues you'd have for a setup like this are hydration and making it escape proof. I recommend some aquarium safe silicone around the edges to seal it up.

Check out this post from user Crystals on making a formicarium out of a bead container, which looks just like this. The pictures are down currently, but I think she's actively working to remedy that, and the descriptions are great. Link below.

I was planing to put a sponge or cotton in one of cells and water it for hydration.

#4 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 26 2017 - 6:50 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America

I was planing to put a sponge or cotton in one of cells and water it for hydration.
That would be a good idea. A sponge chamber for hydration and humidity would create a humidity gradient for optimal brood development.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users