• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any ID's?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Thomas - Posted July 25 2017 - 3:12 PM

Thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

1. Location Mesa, Arizona. USA
2. Date of collection: July 21 2017
3. Habitat of collection: residential desert, 2 hours after a rain.
4. Length ~7.5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: mostly amber with the gaster being very dark brown with golden yellow in between like a bee.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: two petiole nodes, paddle or club shaped antenna. Can't count the segments because it moves its head continuously. maybe about 12.
7. Distinguishing behavior:None yet.
8. Nest description: It likes water, It is raising the brood in the wettest part of the tube, a clump of about five or six looks like. large eyes

Laid eggs about two days after I found it, I have a stereo scope to look at it with but no camera. One picture from my phone.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 25 2017 - 3:30 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Take better pictures please. Probably Pheidole.

• Thomas likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline cpman - Posted July 25 2017 - 9:36 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Are you able to count the segments in the club of the antenna?

#4 Offline Thomas - Posted July 25 2017 - 10:00 PM

Thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Tenn.ants, Thanks so much, I think you nailed it, Pheidole tepicana is very much like the queen. I wasn't able to find a picture of a queen though.

As far as me posting a better picture, it is impossible for now. I have no camera but the phone and I try not to disturb her if I can help it.

Cpman I haven't done that yet, but it will be a main plan when I can.

#5 Offline cpman - Posted July 26 2017 - 7:52 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Tenn.ants, Thanks so much, I think you nailed it, Pheidole tepicana is very much like the queen. I wasn't able to find a picture of a queen though.
As far as me posting a better picture, it is impossible for now. I have no camera but the phone and I try not to disturb her if I can help it.
Cpman I haven't done that yet, but it will be a main plan when I can.

If it is Pheidole, the club should have 3 segments. I couldn't tell if there were any spines on the mesosoma though. If it has no spines on the mesosoma (on Pheidole queens, they can be pretty small) and a two segmented club, it's probably Solenopsis.

Edited by cpman, July 26 2017 - 7:53 AM.

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 26 2017 - 4:58 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If Pheidole, you won't be able to identify to the species at a glance, and you may not get a proper chance at all until both castes of workers arrive. Providing more than one photograph, from different angles, would help us confirm the genus.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users