• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Stingers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 1 2017 - 12:21 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Hey, I have been stung by Florida harvester ants (Pogonomyrmex badius) on multiple occasions (and yes, it hurts A LOT) and have noticed something worth noting. When an ant stings me or something else, it appears it's entire stinger and a piece of some kind of bright orange tissue behind it is expelled from the ant, and is stuck into what it is stinging. What happens to the ant afterwords? It apparently doesn't have a stinger any more, does it? If gone, does the ant grow another stinger, or does it die? What happens?

#2 Online gcsnelling - Posted July 1 2017 - 2:13 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

The ant dies.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 1 2017 - 2:24 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
If so, them the queen I caught is done for, as it stung the cloth I caught it with. I caught another queen soon after without it stinging anything, so that's good.

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted July 1 2017 - 3:17 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I thought semi-clausteral species, such as Myrmica, have stingers to seduce prey and feed to the brood? They don't die after an attack?

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#5 Offline cpman - Posted July 1 2017 - 3:36 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I didn't think any ants lost their stingers.

Then again, I've only been stung by a handful of different species (Solenopsis, Tetramorium, Pseudomyrmex).

#6 Online gcsnelling - Posted July 1 2017 - 6:50 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I seem to recall that the stingers of Pogonomyrmex are barbed to varying degrees, In extreme cases the stingers can pull out of the body as in honey bees, if this occurs they die.

Edited by gcsnelling, July 1 2017 - 6:51 PM.

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted July 1 2017 - 7:47 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I recall an article I recently read; it's not entirely on-topic although it's close enough. It's titled Evolution of the Sting Apparatus in the Myrmicine Ants. The diagrams were particularly interesting to me. 

https://www.research..._Myrmicine_Ants

http://onlinelibrary....tb04668.x/full

https://www.jstor.or...an_tab_contents

These are the onlune libraries, though you should be able to make an account.

Edited by Martialis, July 1 2017 - 8:18 PM.

• gcsnelling likes this
Spoiler

#8 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 2 2017 - 11:12 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
gcsnelling The stingers to seem to have very small barbs as when I see an ant sting something, the tip of the stinger stays put into the victim and if the stinger is deep enough in, will stick and completely pull out of the ant, like honey bees. I didn't know any ants did this though. I would assume an ant that lost it's stinger and whatever the stinger was connected to would die.

Edited by AntswerMe, July 2 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#9 Offline LC3 - Posted July 2 2017 - 11:19 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I recall an article I recently read; it's not entirely on-topic although it's close enough. It's titled Evolution of the Sting Apparatus in the Myrmicine Ants. The diagrams were particularly interesting to me. 

https://www.research..._Myrmicine_Ants

http://onlinelibrary....tb04668.x/full

https://www.jstor.or...an_tab_contents

These are the onlune libraries, though you should be able to make an account.

Stumbled on a PDF version of above mentioned article a few weeks ago. Thank god I bookmarked it :lol:

http://www.antwiki.o...micine_Ants.pdf

^PDF

Edited by LC3, July 2 2017 - 11:19 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#10 Online gcsnelling - Posted July 3 2017 - 3:13 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

gcsnelling The stingers to seem to have very small barbs as when I see an ant sting something, the tip of the stinger stays put into the victim and if the stinger is deep enough in, will stick and completely pull out of the ant, like honey bees. I didn't know any ants did this though. I would assume an ant that lost it's stinger and whatever the stinger was connected to would die.

Yup, stinger pulls out and the ant dies.

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 3 2017 - 8:28 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I thought semi-clausteral species, such as Myrmica, have stingers to seduce prey and feed to the brood? They don't die after an attack?

Wait what? Seducing prey? Considering the amount of times I've been stung, I don't think they die after a sting either
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline Superant33 - Posted July 3 2017 - 11:56 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Obviously, he meant subdue. The barb must vary by species, as Mr. Snelling indicated. I have been stung by Pogonomyrmex and others and have never seen this phenomenon. Very interesting, I thought that ants and wasps lacked barbs and would survive is they stung a vertebrate.

#13 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted July 14 2017 - 6:58 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

The Pogonomrymex badius do loose their stingers when they do get agitated enough to actually sting.   But they do not die anytime soon.... I have been stung a plenty by them... and noticed that when the stinger is lost the ant seems to loose some of the gaster. i will video this for you all and show you how the gaster heals and the ant lives on...I will make a thread titled "OUCH" 

#14 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 26 2017 - 6:43 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Okay Jamie. That would be great, except for the pain! :-)

#15 Offline Shaye - Posted July 26 2017 - 10:13 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
I've been stung too many times for comfort by Pogonomyrmex Californicus colonies (Maybe because I sometimes stumble up to their mounds without noticing? Who knows, hahahaha). Sometimes their guts and stingers stay in my leg, other times I can swipe them off without that happening.. All depends on how deep they get it.

Edited by Shaye, July 26 2017 - 10:15 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users