• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Niger Hibernation

hibernation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 24 2017 - 10:39 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hello, I am going be in possession of a Lasius Niger in a few weeks, and I heard they have to hibernate from October to March. I think the only reason ants hibernate is because it gets too cold, but if they are in my house then I really don't see any reason to hibernate them. Do you guys think I could get by without hibernating them. I also want to make sure it doesn't have any negative effects on the queen by skipping hibernation.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 25 2017 - 3:43 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Who's selling you Lasius niger queens in California?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 25 2017 - 9:53 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Why do you care? A man from los angles if you must know. He found it in California and didn't ship it if that's what your worried about.

Edited by AntPhycho, July 25 2017 - 10:01 AM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 25 2017 - 10:58 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Because, in likelihood, you're getting something else which the seller misidentified, else they obtained a Lasius niger colony illegally. Lasius niger (or similar, unnamed species) do exist in North America, but live so remotely -- I have my doubts that hobbyists would be able to find it. It's also notoriously confused with every black ant and the four other niger-group Lasius. If you have a legitimately sold Lasius niger colony, good on you!

Hibernation is important to the internal clock of the temperate workers, brood, and queen. Their colonies tend not to do well when they aren't put in the cold. Activity (foraging, egg laying, etc.) also tapers off during the hibernation period, regardless of the temperature.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 25 2017 - 11:04 AM.

• dermy and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 25 2017 - 11:13 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
So should I put them in a cold place? Or should I just put them outside for that time?

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 25 2017 - 11:34 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If it doesn't become freezing cold outside, that should be fine. I stick mine in a fridge just because the temperatures are easier to control.

----

#7 Offline TheAntKing - Posted July 25 2017 - 11:35 AM

TheAntKing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

how cold does a fridge get

#8 Offline TKD102 - Posted August 3 2017 - 11:26 AM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

It depends on what kind you have.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#9 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 3 2017 - 12:17 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

It would be ideal to get your hands on one of these Zoo Medâ„¢ Reptile Terrarium Thermometer Humidity Gauge, that way you can measure the temp's of your fridge more accurate before and during hibernation.

Make sure it can read temperatures below 0

Edited by lucas3431, August 3 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#10 Offline Byronicus1 - Posted August 3 2017 - 10:28 PM

Byronicus1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEngland

I put mine in the attic as it is unheated and i live in England so it is relatively cold.  The queen needs hibernation as it is a break from egg laying. She is happier if she hibernates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users