• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I caught a virgin queen and a virgin male...

mating captivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 24 2017 - 5:49 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I found 2 fire Ant nests, one had a bunch of winged males. Then I found another nest it had virgin winged Queens. See them here https://ibb.co/fzKdZk Now if I put 3 males with one queen in the same container will they mate? Also will they need food and water when they are together?

Edited by AntPhycho, August 6 2017 - 2:39 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 24 2017 - 6:09 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

It's very difficult, but you might as well try. I'd put some honey in there.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 24 2017 - 6:32 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ok right now they are all chilling together, also should I put a drop of honey and a wet cotton ball in with them or do they not need it?

Edited by AntPhycho, July 24 2017 - 6:35 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mating, captivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users