• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Various Species - British Columbia, Canada (2017-07-17)

ant id worker id

Best Answer LC3 , July 24 2017 - 11:11 AM

The first picture is Camponotus novaeboracensis and the third is a rather small specimen of Myrmica cf. specioides

The rest are Formica species, with image number two possibly being Formica argentea

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline proto - Posted July 24 2017 - 1:08 AM

proto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Google Photos Album

I have a few species that have nest nearby each other within a one block radius and I'd like to find out what species these are precisely, so I can determine which time of year to be looking for queens of these.  I hope they can be identified by the worker ants which I have taken as clear photos of as possible.  The smaller ones were really tough, but managed snap a few shots.

SPECIES 1 WORKER ANT

1. Location of Collection: Surrey, British Columbia

2. Date of Collection: 2017-07-17

3. Habitat of Collection: At base of wooden telecom / power line pole along the sidewalk, nest seems to be in the base of the pole.

4. Length:  11mm

5. Coloration: head and gaster are black, gaster is mostly shiny, but mid section (2nd ring) is matte, mid body and legs are dark brown.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 12 antennae segments, 1 petiole node

7. Distinguishing behavior: fast moving, creates sawdust piles

SPECIES 2 WORKER ANT

1. Location of Collection: Hwy 99 near Brunswick Beach, British Columbia

2. Date of Collection: 2017-07-16

3. Habitat of Collection: straw and wood covered area between a crevasse of a mountain side mound  (map)

4. Length: 6-7mm

5. Coloration: mostly black in color and dark brown legs / mandibles 

7. Distinguishing behavior: fast moving, very active in daylight, great climbers

SPECIES 3 WORKER ANT

3. Habitat of Collection: dry tall grassy area near SPECIES 1 half a foot from the sidewalk.  they don't seem to bother each other.

4. Length:  4.5mm

5. Coloration: mostly brown in color (reddish in outside daylight)

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 12 antennae segments, 2 petiole node

7. Distinguishing behavior: slow moving

SPECIES 4 WORKER ANT

3. Habitat of Collection: ceramic planter in the backyard (2ft x 2ft x 2.5ft tall).

4. Length: 6-7mm

5. Coloration: mostly light brown in color (seemed reddish in daylight), brown head and gaster

7. Distinguishing behavior: moderate moving speed, poor climber of surfaces, mostly climb back in from the wilted plants hanging over edge or vine plants next to it, do climb the side surfaces slowly and most of the times unsuccessfully.  Amusing to watch them fall back down often.

Edited by proto, July 24 2017 - 11:14 AM.

I'm new to this as of May 2017 and I'd have to say that this site is such an amazing resource. Having pros helping to ID ants is incredible and super helpful.  I will be applying to GAN Project for Vancouver (lower mainland) once I have some worker colonies as per Ants Canada.

• Formica podzolica (12)
  • Lasius alienus (33)
  • Myrmica sp. (3)

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 24 2017 - 5:26 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I like this identification thread, very neat and well formatted. :)

I want to say the first is Camponotus herculeanus, the second looks like a formica species in the fusca-goup, the third looks like a Tetramorium pavement ant worker, and the fourth could be Formica, although I have no idea what species group.

• Martialis and proto like this

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted July 24 2017 - 11:11 AM   Best Answer

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

The first picture is Camponotus novaeboracensis and the third is a rather small specimen of Myrmica cf. specioides

The rest are Formica species, with image number two possibly being Formica argentea

• VoidElecent and proto like this

#4 Offline proto - Posted July 24 2017 - 12:18 PM

proto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Note to self:

Camponotus (May)

Formica (Jul-Sep)

Myrmica (Aug-Sep) (forage Spring time)

• Myrmica specioides and M. rubra are the only uniform red species found along the west coast, invasive
  • only species that are capable of thriving in urban environments
  • Most native Myrmica are black and red/dark red or in the case of Myrmica brevispinosa yellowish orange (not in the city)
  • Myrmica brevispinosa, inland, south, dry grassy habitat

Okanagan grasslands are also home to Myrmecocystus testaceus

I'm new to this as of May 2017 and I'd have to say that this site is such an amazing resource. Having pros helping to ID ants is incredible and super helpful.  I will be applying to GAN Project for Vancouver (lower mainland) once I have some worker colonies as per Ants Canada.

• Formica podzolica (12)
  • Lasius alienus (33)
  • Myrmica sp. (3)

#5 Offline notmyidea - Posted August 2 2017 - 11:17 PM

notmyidea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Note to self:

Camponotus (May)

Formica (Jul-Sep)

Myrmica (Aug-Sep) (forage Spring time)

• Myrmica specioides and M. rubra are the only uniform red species found along the west coast, invasive
  • only species that are capable of thriving in urban environments
  • Most native Myrmica are black and red/dark red or in the case of Myrmica brevispinosa yellowish orange (not in the city)
  • Myrmica brevispinosa, inland, south, dry grassy habitat

Okanagan grasslands are also home to Myrmecocystus testaceus

You might be interested in this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7GnyB67cGQw

This is Myrmica in Victoria, BC mating mid-Sept. 2015, late afternoon.

Edited by notmyidea, August 2 2017 - 11:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, worker id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users