• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Humidity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 23 2017 - 11:38 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Recently I've aquired a Pogonomyrmex barbatus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, and Myrmecocystus mimicus queen. I read an old article that too much humidity, which a normal test tube might have, can kill desert species such as Myrmecocystus and Pogonomyrmex. I don't have any in just a sealed tube. Here's the setups:

Pogonomyrmex Barbatus (Queen and 3 Workers): Tube locked in place with clay in a bare container, with a seed tray, honey droplet, and dead spider outside.

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus (Queen only): Test tube locked in place with clay in a bare container, with a seed pile, dead spider, and honey droplet. I also slightly blocked off her nest entrance with cotton so she would feel concealed.

Myrmecocystus Mimicus (Queen only): Small container filled with coconut husk and a test tube setup slightly blocked off with cotton. No food or honey, but I'll be adding some soon (Just in case). She decided to burrow next to the edge, and I have clear vision of her.

I'm hoping since they're in setups that their tubes are only slightly blocked in, that they'll be fine. Also, for the Myrmecocystus should I put her back into the tube and make a bare setup? I'm worried she will die without water.

I truely thank you if you can answer these questions quick! I need to move them into a proper setup before they get eggs. That'll just be a hastle.

Edited by Ants_Texas, July 23 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 24 2017 - 8:30 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Put a regular testube setup in the container with the Myrmecocystus and if she gets thirsty she'll drink from it and if the humidity is right she might move into it as well.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users