• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What about feeding ants maggots?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Saltynuts - Posted July 23 2017 - 1:32 PM

Saltynuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

So, I bought some crickets off amazon.  After you guys told me that they need some protein, not just carbs via potatos or what not, I through a vienna sausage in there.  They ate the first one pretty quick.  So I through another one in there.  They must have been full, because they ate this one much slower.  So in a few days I come back and the whole thing has broken down and it is infested with white crawling worm looking things, which I assume are maggots.  Any reason not to try and feed these to my ants?  They certainly seem weak, white and juicy, not sure why the ants wouldn't love them.  Just thought I'd ask before I scoop some into my different ant farms.  Thanks!

#2 Offline Reacker - Posted July 23 2017 - 2:47 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Regardless of what you decide to do you really need to clean up food scraps before they start rotting. That's a constant requirement of pet care for pretty much any animal.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 23 2017 - 3:25 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I wouldn't do it. You want an ant enclosure to be as free of any maggots, mold, mildew, and fungus as possible. Just clean up the mess and make sure to never leave food scraps for more than a day, and try feeding your crickets smaller portions.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 24 2017 - 10:16 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

They should definitely eat them - although you will probably want to throw out the rotting piece of sausage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users