• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Buidling new formicarium

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fANTastic - Posted July 21 2017 - 4:58 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

I am buidling formicarium with with picture frame and decor sand to house my Tetramorium sp e. I bought all of it at dollar store for $11 CND. I want to make it higher (it will be horizontal nest) with strong contruction paper from the back of te picture frame. The frame is aluminum and I can't cut through it and I can't cut through the glass too. Would the ants bite through the contructuon paper? Do I need air vents? I am going to put a waterer(test tube with cotton and water) and an entrance. What would you all suggest? I don't want ants roaming my house. My mom would kill me.

#2 Offline Klassien - Posted July 21 2017 - 8:13 PM

Klassien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I can lead you in the right direction. Follow some simple instructions and you'll be "buidling a formicarium" in no time!

1. Get some Elmer's glue and some aluminum foil.

2. Take the scissors, cut up the aluminum foil into perfect isosceles triangles.

3. Make sure you have glue in your dominant hand.

4. Next you'll need that construction paper; glue some foil triangles on it.

5. Then, you wait a while until the glue is dry and poof! You just created refrigerator art!

6. Bask in the masterpiece.

Edit: you could always let your ants out every once in a while. Give them a little tour, or show them the kitchen--where their meals come from. If you tell your mom that you're giving them a tour, she might be more understanding.

Spoiler

Edited by Klassien, July 21 2017 - 8:23 PM.

#3 Offline dermy - Posted July 21 2017 - 8:33 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

The ants would be out of there faster than you made it. Even something as simple as a container, connected to another container [one for a nest one for a foraging area] would work. Make sure the nesting area is moist for them. If you don't mind not seeing them dirt/sand would work. 

#4 Offline fANTastic - Posted July 21 2017 - 9:09 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

so would making the walls out of plastic work?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users