• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Does Anyone know any good species of Ants that can be found in Maryland?

finding ants

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 20 2017 - 6:47 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I was wondering for next year If not this year already, what species are likely to be found in Maryland. Are their any polygenus and polymorphic ant species that live in Maryland? I would appreciate any information. Thanks. Best Regards!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 20 2017 - 7:32 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

There are a ton of polymorphic Camponotus:

Camponotus americanus
Camponotus caryae
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes
Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus novaeboracensis
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Camponotus snellingi
Camponotus socius
Camponotus subbarbatus

As far as Polygynous ants go, there are:
Tapinoma Sessile
Stenamma
Solenopsis Molesta?
Prenolepis Imparis?

Not 100% sure on the P. Imparis and S. Molesta - there may be more.

#3 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 21 2017 - 12:31 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Thanks, but I was wondering if ther any ants that in my area that are polymorphic and polygynous.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:21 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

You asked for both polygynous and polymorphic ants in your post - I put both.  There are a lot of polymorphic Camponotus in your area that I listed first.

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:24 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I meant a species of ant that is polygenous AND polymorphic :D

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:41 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Ahh, okay - that pretty much narrows it down to just Pheidole as far as I know, especially for temperate regions.

#7 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted July 21 2017 - 7:18 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

Polygynous and polymorphic- Pheidole

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#8 Offline Salmon - Posted July 21 2017 - 7:39 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Pheidole dentata is polygynous I believe... I don't know if Pheidole megacephala has been introduced to Maryland, if so it'd most likely be found in some sort of building or greenhouse.

#9 Offline cpman - Posted July 21 2017 - 7:58 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Pheidole dentata is polygynous I believe... I don't know if Pheidole megacephala has been introduced to Maryland, if so it'd most likely be found in some sort of building or greenhouse.

P. dentata is indeed polygynous. There are a few other members of the same genus that are native to the US that are as well, but I'm not sure how many of them live in Maryland. Some of them are pretty small though.

Edited by cpman, July 21 2017 - 8:04 AM.

#10 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 21 2017 - 8:57 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Does anyone know where/how to get P. dentate queens?

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#11 Offline cpman - Posted July 21 2017 - 1:08 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Pheidole mostly flew in June here, but they may still have some that haven't flown, depending on the species.
Your season may still be going on. There are other polygyne Pheidole so keep your eyes open.

I've always found it pretty easy to find queens of this genus -- just walking around after a flight or stuck in a pool. That may be because Pheidole are pretty dominant around here.

#12 Offline Reacker - Posted July 21 2017 - 1:46 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I spent the spring and summer of 2008 in DC and it was an anting paradise compared to most of the western states I've lived in. Whereas in these much drier climates where you can only really collect adult colonies in mid spring, when I was in DC I had absolutely no trouble finding colonies of various species from various genus during the entirety of my stay. The ant diversity in the undeveloped stretches of bush land and forest in between suburbs was spectacular. 

Go find an oak tree and start cracking open acorns and you will find quite a few Temnothorax colonies as well as a few queens from other genus that have taken up residence in them. I found several species of queens in acorns but the queen I remember being most surprised to find was a large Cremotogaster queen that you wouldn't ordinarily think would choose to cram herself into one. Also worthwhile is to lift up fallen logs and their bark as there are quite a few interesting things to be found under them. When lifting the logs and especially the bark be sure to do it as non-destructively as possible (I remember the bark usually coming off in one unbroken sheet) so that when you are done looking you can similarly lightly place them back to where they belong to avoid unnecessary habitat destruction.

Rocks are of course always good to lift if you can find them (though I never did see many good rocks while I was there). The same best practices that apply to being gentle while lifting logs applies to rocks as well as it is very easy to damage the livability of the space under a rock for many years and unlike logs those rocks are not being replaced at an appreciable rate. 

If you want to find queens and don't like ticks then I suggest you spend the early morning hours and the hours during sunset walking around in your neighborhood. I had great luck finding queens from various genus doing this. 

Edited by Reacker, July 21 2017 - 1:51 PM.

• AntsMaryland likes this

#13 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 21 2017 - 2:54 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It seems like they have already flown down here, I have not seen their queens for a while. I caught a bunch a little more than a month ago.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: finding ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users