• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odd queen behaviour

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Yolomanguydude - Posted July 20 2017 - 3:09 AM

Yolomanguydude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello All,

I have noticed strange behaviour coming from my queen. It has a lot of brood and 5 workers yet it still ventures into the outworld to forage.

Is this normal? If not please help me fix this problem. Is it stress? I just moved it into its formicarium so...

Please take your time to explain what is happening.

Thanks!

#2 Offline fANTastic - Posted July 20 2017 - 8:59 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

What species? It might be semi claustral!

You shouldn't relly bother. Once there are more nanitics, the queen would just get to egg laying.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 1 2017 - 4:17 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
So members can more easily discover your topic, please consider a more precise title for topics that ask questions.

For example, this topic could be titled "Is it normal for my queen to leave the nest to forage after obtaining nanitic workers?" While the title may seem long, it will be displayed in its entirety on the forum, so members who have an answer will readily reply.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 1 2017 - 9:06 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Before I moved to CT, I kept Pseudomyrmex Gracilis and Tetramorium Bicarinatum (you can see them in my signature, which I can not edit for some reason). My Tetramorium, who got her first workers, always would exit the nest and forage for the workers while they tended to the brood.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes