• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID needed. South Europe

south europe queen id mediterranean

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted July 19 2017 - 5:38 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I caught these three beauties a week ago. It was late evening and I stopped at a gas station. I saw hundreds of males on a lit up wall. Among them were these three queens. Their thorax is not very big and I suspect they might be semi-claustral.

Can someone id the species for me please? 

All of them have layed eggs, but none the three have ripped their wings out. I am afraid I caught them too early and that they're all virgins :( Time will tell ...

IMG 5945
IMG 5937
IMG 5924
IMG 5915

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 19 2017 - 6:08 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Crematogaster cf. schmidti.

Edited by VoidElecent, July 19 2017 - 6:09 AM.

#3 Offline skocko76 - Posted July 19 2017 - 7:04 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Thanks VoidElecent!!!

I read that Crematogaster schmidti and Crematogaster scutellaris are allopatric species. I observed Crematogaster scutellaris on the sea line, and cought Crematogaster schmidti some 7 km North.

I can't believe I live on the border of these two, territorially exclusive, species :)

#4 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 20 2017 - 2:15 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Crematogaster sp. indeed but this is not C. schmidti nor C. scutellaris because this queen has a much different head shape. From the other two species listed in Croatia, C.ionia and C. sordidula both have a much different head shape too. As seen from the provided pictures on the internet. C. ionia (Antweb) https://www.antweb.o...shot=h&number=1and C. sordidula http://www.myrmecofo...-reine-4638.jpg. Probably there are more species found in Croatia but have not been recorded so I checked the list for Montenegro and found that the only species whit such head shaped queens from this region is C. lorteti (Antweb)https://www.antweb.o...shot=h&number=1the queen shown here seems to have a lighter coloration than yours but note that the imaged specimen is a subspecies recorded from Greece so their could be variation. Yours could possibly be another species so don't take my word on this very serious. I'm not really informed whit the species on the Adriatic coast. Anyway this is a very interesting species and be sure to post pictures of the workers when they get them! Good luck!

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 20 2017 - 2:19 PM.

#5 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 6 2017 - 6:28 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Thanks Jonathan!
I'll be sure to post photos of the workers if I get lucky to get them. The queens still have their wings on, but generally take care of the eggs, which is encouraging. It's most likely they have not been inseminated and I'll get male alates at best.I think the eggs got elongated, so it's possible they're tiny larvae now. It's hard to see. I'll keep posting! 😊
  • Jonathan21700 likes this

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 6 2017 - 8:05 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Usually non mated queens will never lay eggs and will constantly pull the cotton and try to fly again so I'm pretty sure you have mated queens!

• skocko76 likes this

#7 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 14 2017 - 10:34 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

So, I had to leave for two weeks, and in order to keep their nests hydrated, I attached a test tube with water to the two acrylic chambers.

After I returned, one of the queens seems to have tried to move the eggs next to the cotton, but the eggs ended up being scattered. 

Check the photo. There is a weird looking larvae-thing in the middle... does anyone know what it is? It looks like a dead larvae to me..

The second queen hasn't moved the egg pile, and it kinda looks like a pile of pupae to me. I cannot see black eye spots on them though.

There are also thread-like things on the pile. Can anyone take a look at the photo and comment on whether it looks healthy?

The third queen is in a test test tube setup, in the dark, and I haven't disturbed her. She still has her wings on, as do all of the three.

The test tube is of a smaller variety, plastic, and with very little space between the two cotton plugs, making it hard to see what's going on.

IMG 5992
IMG 5992 crop
IMG 5993
IMG 5993 crop

Edited by skocko76, August 14 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#8 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 14 2017 - 12:06 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Those are all larvae. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: south europe, queen id, mediterranean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users