• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Good species to start out with (moved from an unrelated journal)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dermy - Posted October 24 2014 - 6:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Myrmica is a good species to start out with.

#22 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 6:19 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Crematogaster is a myrmicine, and the sometimes squirt formic acid.

I remember stepping into a colony that was moving location and I had my flip flops on!

#23 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 6:21 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Ok now lets stop talking about stuff, this is preffered beginner ants.

#24 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 6:23 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I would say Lasius, Tetramorium, Myrmica, Camponotus (they are slow I don't prefer them for beginners), maybe Solenopsis, Formica, Crematogaster.

#25 Offline Crystals - Posted October 25 2014 - 7:57 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

For my northern location, I recommend Formica, Myrmica, or Camponotus.   Of course, those are also the most common species.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#26 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 8:14 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

For my northern location, I recommend Formica, Myrmica, or Camponotus.   Of course, those are also the most common species.  :D

Why not Lasius, Lasius is very common and easy to keep.

#27 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 25 2014 - 9:36 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

At the end of the day, shouldn't any common ants in one's location be easy to keep? 

My surrounding area is dominated by Solenopsis and Veromessor and those were the ants I targeted, although I missed the actual nuptial flights. 

And even though there is Odontomachus clarus out here, they aren't common and obviously probably need a little extra TLC than a more common species. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#28 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 25 2014 - 11:32 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Odontomachus is not easy. Nor are Pogonomyrmex (other than the barbatus group), because you need to feed the queens, which are all super sensitive to movement and light.

#29 Offline dermy - Posted October 25 2014 - 11:35 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Not to mention some people often have problems with the ants that are common everywhere, for some reason they don't do well in captivity. Such as argentine ants, I've heard some people just can't get them going. Yet others seem to get them going with little to no effort. It's all down to a more personal level. You have to see what species is good for you yourself, sure reading about others success is good but results vary greatly, especially when you live in a different area then the other person.

#30 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 12:27 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Not to mention some people often have problems with the ants that are common everywhere, for some reason they don't do well in captivity. Such as argentine ants, I've heard some people just can't get them going. Yet others seem to get them going with little to no effort. It's all down to a more personal level. You have to see what species is good for you yourself, sure reading about others success is good but results vary greatly, especially when you live in a different area then the other person.

Here's what you need to do, buy a ton of test tubes. Wait til' a nuptial flight. Catch every queen you see without wings. Have them each in seperate test tubes. Wait and if something  isn't right then do some experimenting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users