• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecocystus mimicus(honeypot ant) care Help

myrmecocystus mimicus honeypot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antsnewmexico - Posted July 16 2017 - 8:29 PM

antsnewmexico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hey guys, I just captured some honeypot ant queens specifically, Myrmecocystus mimicus. I really need help in which kind of set up I should put some in. Some people recommended the test tube set up with some dirt with it. I put one of my queens in this set up and noticed something bad. The dirt that is in contact with the wet cotton ball caused the dirt to become muddy. I do not know if I constructed this set up correctly. Thanks!

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 21 2017 - 12:50 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well the dirt would become muddy and that's not surprising. You didn't do anything wrong. Theirs nothing to worry about as long as their is some place in the test tube which is a little drier and not muddy. As the queen will place her brood where it is best for them. I think its fine. Best Regards!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They will most likely end up dying in a test tube. The best way to raise them is in a container with some dirt, or a vertical cave-like formicarium with rough surfaces.

#4 Offline antsnewmexico - Posted July 28 2017 - 7:16 PM

antsnewmexico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thank you guys for the input! For a quick update, all four of my mimicus queens are still alive and have new, healthy brood. I did notice that the one in the test tube with the dirt has the most number of brood. Most of the mud also dried up. 

Edited by antsnewmexico, July 28 2017 - 7:22 PM.

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 29 2017 - 1:15 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yay!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline Miles - Posted July 29 2017 - 4:39 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

After consulting with someone who has raised Myrmecocystus for over 30 years, I highly recommend you put these queens in small jars with a hydrostone base and some sandy soil, about 5 mm thick.

Edited by Miles, July 29 2017 - 4:39 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline antsnewmexico - Posted July 30 2017 - 10:57 AM

antsnewmexico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Okay I will try that method. How do I hydrate the small jars? I am also getting a tar heels ant mini hearth for one of the queens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus mimicus, honeypot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users