• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Socal Myrmecocystus Anting/Planning thread

honeypots

69 replies to this topic

#61 Offline nurbs - Posted July 20 2017 - 9:34 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Heading home ATM, not a lot of containers left and don't want my ants to cook in my car.

By the way the flight def happened at around 9pm, same for what I think is mimicus. Massive termite flight and about a dozen other bugs I couldn't id too. I was pulling drones out of my ears this morning.

I'll scope out 29 palms on the way back too

Best of luck Soul! Nurse that headache. Those suck.

#62 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 20 2017 - 11:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Goffs Rd a few hundred yards north of hidden hills rd

Nice. So just north of Fenner, CA... aka the gas station. :lol: That spot was dry as a bone the last time I was there a week ago, so that totally makes sense.

#63 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 20 2017 - 12:29 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Area east of 29 palms is way hot, I saw a few founding chambers but nothing came up. Ground there is like, 2 inches dry, then 4 inches damp, then dry again.

I stopped 3 or 4 times between these two points and didn't have luck. It was very very dry pretty much everywhere and there definitely wasn't that desert rain smell.

Edit will reup the img later

Edited by soulsynapse, July 20 2017 - 12:39 PM.

camponotus quersicola | camponotus laevigatus | camponotus vicinus | camponotus clarithorax | veromessor pergandei | pheidole barbata| dorymyrmex insanus | liometopum occidentale | pogonomyrmex californius | solenopsis xyloni

💗Colony adoption, San Diego.💗

Ants Amaze on Youtube. Subs welcome!

Friendly ant discord! Come join us!

#64 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 20 2017 - 3:42 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSoCal

k well this is a bit disappointing, but I guess live and learn

so here's what happened

1) I didn't think dorymyrmex would really fly that much cuz I caught an insanus in what, feb?

2) I knew mexicanus was bigger than everything else, but didn't know by how much

3) I looked up what honeypots looked like, then started my trek out there

4) I found what I thought was mexicanus at around 9 or 10pm, so I assumed it wasn't implausible for the other myrmecocystus species to be flying too

^ mimicus

vs what I found

so assuming that the myrmecocystus that I found was mexicanus, I assumed the smaller ones were mimicus

but what actually happened was I probably found navajo, and the rest are dorymyrmex

so kind of a bitter lesson, and at least I didn't come back without anything new. hopefully my 1 myrmecocystus is fertile.

camponotus quersicola | camponotus laevigatus | camponotus vicinus | camponotus clarithorax | veromessor pergandei | pheidole barbata| dorymyrmex insanus | liometopum occidentale | pogonomyrmex californius | solenopsis xyloni

#65 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 20 2017 - 4:12 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSoCal

more annoyed than deterred, though I feel like a moron

24 hour rainfall:

#66 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 20 2017 - 4:51 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSoCal

totals: 8 novomessor, 9 d. bicolor 2 d. insanus, 1 m. navajo, 4 crematogaster

#67 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 20 2017 - 5:02 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSoCal

This was before I realized most of this was termites, but here you go:

#68 Offline Scrixx - Posted July 20 2017 - 6:33 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

This was before I realized most of this was termites, but here you go:

Doesn't change that it was successful! Is that a handheld blacklight?

• soulsynapse likes this

#69 Offline nurbs - Posted July 20 2017 - 6:33 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
You found what Drew and I call a mini Mexican.
  • soulsynapse likes this

#70 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Termites fly out there like crazy every time the rain stops. I had so many of them one time I could scoop them out of the back of my truck by the hand-full. I usually take home a jar filled with them. They make great ant food. Just store them in the freezer. Sometimes you'll get huge brown beetles too. Pogonomyrmex go nuts over those things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users