• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Paratrechina longicornis Budding (Video)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 16 2017 - 8:33 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

It's ~ 8:00 PM in Spanish Wells, Bahamas when I find a Paratrechina longicornis (Black Crazy Ant) colony budding in the yard last night.(7/15/17) Was quite confused at first since I thought they were having a flight, and that was when I realized they did not fly; They bud. I believe the part of the video where there was that huge mass of workers (1:05) was the nest that was budding/splitting.

This article cleared up what was going on for me: http://www.cabi.org/...datasheet/44709

During this, Brachymyrmex obscurior were teasing to fly, but the few alates that surfaced went back into their nests after some time. The workers around the nests were super active though, and there were lots of them.

I still have a question however: Why were males being sent to the new colonies?

Edited by Nathant2131, July 19 2017 - 10:38 AM.

• Martialis, VoidElecent and Volant like this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted July 16 2017 - 8:38 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

This seems like the island of invasives.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 16 2017 - 8:46 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

It's not as bad as you think actually, but it's still sad. The two most common species on the island is Dorymyrmex pyramicus and Brachymyrmex obscurior, both native to the Bahamas. There are more invasive species than native ones though.

The invasive species Ihave found thus far on the island:

Solenopsis invicta

Pheidole megacephala

Tapinoma melanocephalum

Paratrechina longicornis

Cardiocondyla emeryi

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted July 16 2017 - 9:01 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

You sound much younger than I was anticipating.

Spoiler

#5 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted July 16 2017 - 9:13 AM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Bermuda was like that when I went there a few years ago. Just invasive species from what I could tell.

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#6 Offline souljah212 - Posted July 19 2017 - 8:36 AM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Dominica has many of these Ant sp too. I currently have a Brachymyrmex obscurior colony coming along nicely. Got about 14-15 workers now. and I have a solenopsis genus but not sure what species. The workers look like what could be either Molesta or Geminata. The queen is dark brown to black color, with two nodes. Workers are really small 1/16 inch, all yellow/gold and they move moderately slower than lets say my Brachymyrmex.

#7 Offline cpman - Posted July 19 2017 - 9:43 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Dominica has many of these Ant sp too. I currently have a Brachymyrmex obscurior colony coming along nicely. Got about 14-15 workers now. and I have a solenopsis genus but not sure what species. The workers look like what could be either Molesta or Geminata. The queen is dark brown to black color, with two nodes. Workers are really small 1/16 inch, all yellow/gold and they move moderately slower than lets say my Brachymyrmex.

That's probably one of the S. molesta-group species. Unfortunately, that group has many different species, which are all pretty similar.

S. geminata is bigger, and will sting.

Edited by cpman, July 19 2017 - 9:43 AM.

• souljah212 likes this

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 19 2017 - 10:38 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Has B. obscurior been flying for you recently? There were at least 3 consecutive evening flights over the past days.

• Martialis likes this

#9 Offline souljah212 - Posted July 20 2017 - 4:16 PM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Not that I have noticed. I do however have a secondary Brachy colony that's coming along nicely two. She had her first worker few days ago and a few more that I saw this morning. Are they Polygyne? Was wondering if I could combine the two eventually. But my yard is full of various Ant Species. I actually caught one that didn't exactly have the typical ant features and released it, just to come across a picture of the exact same ant on google.

here's a pic of what I thought wasn't an ant lol: http://www.alexander...era/i-xcwTMVL/A

And she had wings. She was on my dogs back, I saw wings, and it was yellow, and thought oh its a queen ant. Picked it off him and let her kinda walk on my hand. Got her into a test tube, then I thought, this isn't a queen, so I let her go. sigh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users