• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Large Formica Nuptial Flight! Mount St. Helens Washington

nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted July 15 2017 - 2:55 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Hey everyone, 

I've been absent from the ant-keeping community for some time now, and I'm hoping to get back into things here. I've been raising two colonies of my own, a Tetramorium colony, and a Camponotus colony. So far so good. 

Anyway, this video is a YEAR OLD ... that's how bad I've been at doing ant-related things online. I was visiting Mount St. Helens, Washington (you know, the one that blew up in 1980) and as I was being a tourist, I stumbled into a massive nuptial flight / lek of Formica sp. I haven't identified the species yet, but there were TONS of them!  Maybe someone here can help me figure out what they are? There was also a tiny species of ant also flying and you may see a few of those little ones in the video. This flight occurred in the end of July, so anyone near the St. Helens area be on the look out this time of year! It's coming up! 

Here's the footage that I compiled from that day: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=wa-jb_O7t-M

I've got more videos that I've accumulated over the past year, and I'll be working on those ones when I have time. I've got footage of Pogonomyrmex, Pheidole, and others stored up in my hard drive somewhere. 

Thanks for watching, and I hope you enjoyed watching those Formica do their thing. 

WeatherAnt

Edited by WeatherAnt, July 15 2017 - 2:56 PM.

• dermy, Martialis and Shareallicu like this

#2 Offline ace2184 - Posted July 15 2017 - 3:22 PM

ace2184

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Very cool video. Didn't realize there were so many during a nuptial flight. There must've been thousands.

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 6:28 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Wow, don't think you've been around recently. I'm one of the newer members to here, but welcome back!

Edited by Martialis, July 15 2017 - 7:50 PM.

Spoiler

#4 Offline MrWeather - Posted July 15 2017 - 6:33 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA
Hey! Are the pheidole and pogonomyrmex footage taken in Washington? Cause I'm very interested in keeping pheidole and pogonomyrmex queens but I haven't find any yet. And for the Formica video there are quite a few species of Formica with the reddish orange thorax and head so I'm not sure maybe Formica obscuripes?

Edited by MrWeather, July 15 2017 - 6:37 PM.

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 15 2017 - 7:16 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
damn. I wish flights of that size happened here
  • Martialis likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted July 15 2017 - 10:00 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hey! Are the pheidole and pogonomyrmex footage taken in Washington? Cause I'm very interested in keeping pheidole and pogonomyrmex queens but I haven't find any yet. And for the Formica video there are quite a few species of Formica with the reddish orange thorax and head so I'm not sure maybe Formica obscuripes?

Pheidole and Pogonomyrmex are both common in Eastern Washington! 

Wow, don't think you've been around recently. I'm one of the newer members to here, but welcome back!

Thanks! And welcome also! 

• Martialis and Shareallicu like this

#7 Offline Shareallicu - Posted July 17 2017 - 2:54 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I'm in Lynnwood, way too far to fly for them :(  But Cool!  I want formica and camponotus! :) 

#8 Offline MrWeather - Posted July 17 2017 - 3:01 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

I'm in Lynnwood, way too far to fly for them :(  But Cool!  I want formica and camponotus! :)

It's a 3 hr drive to WeatherAnt place from where I live but yea it's kind of far
  • Shareallicu likes this

#9 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted July 17 2017 - 3:07 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Very cool! Mt. St. Helens is a neat place for biological study; the blast in 1980 essentially created a massive, sterile canvas which has been gradually colonized by surrounding plants and animals. Those are Formica obscuripes, the most common ant you'll find up there. I'm down at Washington State University Vancouver, and several of my colleagues do work on Mt. St. Helens.

#10 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted July 21 2017 - 11:09 AM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Very cool! Mt. St. Helens is a neat place for biological study; the blast in 1980 essentially created a massive, sterile canvas which has been gradually colonized by surrounding plants and animals. Those are Formica obscuripes, the most common ant you'll find up there. I'm down at Washington State University Vancouver, and several of my colleagues do work on Mt. St. Helens.

Awesome, thanks for the information. That area is so fascinating, I need to go back and actually explore it. I was injured at the time and didn't really get to hike or anything beyond the visitor center. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users