• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID: Maine, U.S., 7/15/17

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rdurham02 - Posted July 15 2017 - 12:24 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

1.) South Portland, Maine

2.) 7/15/17

3.) lightly wooded area within some leaf litter close to a fallen log

4.) tiny,  3-4mm

5.) dark brown-black body segments with lighter hue brown at tip of gaster; brown legs/antennae with dark red to burnt orangish mandibles

6.) gaster is elongated and quite long in relation to body size with some hair present on surface of gaster, one petiole node that is rounded at the top and a short waist, rather flat shaped head with a depressed medial ridge that runs from the back of the head to the mandibles, small oval shaped eyes, flat-plateau shaped thorax with wing scars suggestive of a queen

7.) nothing of note besides small size and laterally compressed body..I was thinking possibly Ponera

IMG 1023
IMG 1018
IMG 1014
IMG 1012
IMG 1008
IMG 1007

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 15 2017 - 1:43 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I think you're right, Ponera pennsylvanica.

• rdurham02 likes this

#3 Offline rdurham02 - Posted July 15 2017 - 1:56 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Thanks VoidElecent! That was what I was thinking. Any recommendations on proper husbandry? I've read they can be quite difficult to raise a colony

Edited by rdurham02, July 15 2017 - 2:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users