• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The AntsCanada GAN project is helping to spread invasive ants

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Serafine - Posted July 15 2017 - 3:25 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
There's a difference between free speech and accusing people of illegal actions without proof.
So either offer some evidence or stop insulting people.
  • gcsnelling, Martialis, Antking117 and 2 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#22 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 15 2017 - 5:23 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I never used GAN or even thought about using it, but thanks for convincing me otherwise in the long run. I wouldn't want to be involved in such an unmoderated, now shady-looking insect-selling site whether I'm breaking their rules or not. Or even if they do fix this.
  • Martialis likes this

#23 Offline Leo - Posted July 15 2017 - 5:31 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

let me go batspiderfish on you. "The right to freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rightsand recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the UDHR states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice".

blah blah blah

Edited by Leo, July 15 2017 - 5:36 AM.

• Reacker and Nathant2131 like this

#24 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 5:41 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I've been a GAN farmer for all of a month at most and have sold two colonies.

Both were native and to people within a 35 mile (~56 km) radius of me. I would never consider even remotely selling ants such as S. invicta or Paratrechina longicornis.  I belive that with very tight moderation (which could be practically impossible with the median age of AC followers being somewhere within the range of 10-18), GAN could actually become a respectable media for ant sales. If the USDA required permits to sell ants would help as well.

Spoiler

#25 Offline Serafine - Posted July 15 2017 - 5:59 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The age of the AC crowd has nothing to do with the moderation of the GAN store page.
People have to apply to GAN with a list of the colonies they want to sale, which makes it even more ridiculous that RIFA colonies get to the store page in the first place. These should be filtered out before they even get up, as selling them is a clear violation of GAN rules.

Or can anyone just upload any ant colony for sale without anyone checking them these days? Actually, someone should try this and put up an Argentine, RIFA or YCA colony for sale in New York or Hawaii.

Edited by Serafine, July 15 2017 - 6:00 AM.

• gcsnelling, LC3 and Martialis like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#26 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 6:07 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

In Hawaii, that's actually plausible. I suppose you are right about the age; they probably do not matter.

Spoiler

#27 Offline BMM - Posted July 15 2017 - 6:56 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Frankly I don't think the current ant market is governed by much common sense. I recall another topic from a little while back where people were complaining about how unregulated GAN is, but simultaneously they were criticizing its rules as too restrictive and recommending private sales. If people want a reliable medium to buy and sell ants, they're rather going to have live with GAN or organize something better.

• Shareallicu likes this

#28 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 7:18 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm going to reverberate on something I said earlier: permits should be required and strictly enforced, as with other animals, for the distribution and sale of queen ants and colonies.

• gcsnelling likes this
Spoiler

#29 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:21 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
If this is illegal, can't someone just report it? I'm sure there are plenty of government agencies with nothing better to do than shut down and ant black market.

#30 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:31 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

If this is illegal, can't someone just report it? I'm sure there are plenty of government agencies with nothing better to do than shut down and ant black market.

Because there are "better things to do."  I'm pretty sure insects aren't exactly that high (outside of a few invasive species) on the government's agenda with trafficked animals.

Spoiler

#31 Offline Serafine - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:34 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'm sure Solenopsis invicta is pretty far on the top.

• Martialis and FeedTheAnts like this

#32 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:40 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm sure Solenopsis invicta is pretty far on the top.

Hence the exception I stated.

• T.C. likes this
Spoiler

#33 Offline T.C. - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:53 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

let me go batspiderfish on you. "The right to freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rightsand recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the UDHR states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice".

Hah! You and batspiderfish aren't even comparable. And what is that supposed to mean anyway? "let me go batspiderfish on you." He's a person who feels very strongly on a subject that defends it with good reasoning. You come on here making accusations with no proof.
  • Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#34 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 15 2017 - 2:58 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
What a nice non-heated discussion this is. 😂

#35 Offline Serafine - Posted July 16 2017 - 12:57 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Not really heated on the primary subject though.

#36 Offline Serafine - Posted July 16 2017 - 3:43 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

On a note I made a topic about this on the AntsCanada forums (which they MUST have seen) and there has been zero response from any AC staff so far.

My conclusion is that they just don't give a crap about GAN turning into a shady ant trade page (like, you know, the one Mikey always condemns in his videos) with people breaking the GAN rules and US law by illegally selling fire ants (and unidentified potentially dangerous ants they have no idea of what species or even genus they are).

Edited by Serafine, July 16 2017 - 3:44 AM.

#37 Offline Martialis - Posted July 16 2017 - 6:02 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I don't know if that's entirely true -- the moderation on the AntsCanada forum isn't that active and usually responds to topics relating to the company within a few weeks of when they are posted, but not immediately.

Edited by Martialis, July 16 2017 - 8:24 AM.

Spoiler

#38 Offline super_oil - Posted July 16 2017 - 8:22 AM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Honestly GAN is just a waste of everyone's time.

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#39 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 16 2017 - 9:03 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
[quote name="Gabraime" post="66558" timestamp="1500085507"]Yes I think you are ridiculous tbh, shut up and enjoy life.[/quote]  

Yes I think you are ridiculous tbh, shut up and enjoy life.

Next time you post, especially as a new member, I suggest taking a look at the forum rules before saying anything absurd such as your previous statement.
 3. No posting any messages that are obscene, indecent, profane, vulgar, sexually oriented, or violate any US laws.7. Post in legible, coherent English, without excessive use of emoticons, slang, chat acronyms, or instant messenger shorthand.

Generally, I think the anting community would not appreciate nor agree with what you said.

I do agree with him kevin. Especially since you ship ants and I have proof.
Made me log into my account just since your a hypocrite.

Ok are you guys being AC fanboys or Kevin haters because all of irrelevant

[quote name="Ants4fun" post="66602" timestamp="1500135711"]

Because there are "better things to do."  I'm pretty sure insects aren't exactly that high (outside of a few invasive species) on the government's agenda with trafficked animals.[/quote
Considering that Drew lost a Solenopsis indicts colony like this, I'm fairly sure they DON'T have many better things to do
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#40 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 16 2017 - 9:05 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Honestly GAN is just a waste of everyone's time.

I didn't know that selling ants to ant keepers looking for a colony was a waste of time, what do you mean by this? The fact that people are doing things through the GAN project that is not ethical does not need any government intervention it just means it needs more oversight by the people who run it. I would just reccomend having a list of ants that are not allowed to be sold no matter if you are selling them to people in your state. In my opinion, there is no illegal or shady activity in the GAN project, just some rules that need to be made, and penalties for breaking these rules.

• Shareallicu and Ants_Texas like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users