• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogater feeding help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 8 2017 - 2:21 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I need some help with feeding my Aphaenogaster colony. They won't eat anything except termites, which are very hard for me to get, and they don't like any sugar sources I try. I don't know the species but I did ask for identification but nobody got back to me, here's the link http://www.formicult...nessee-6302017/

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#2 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 8 2017 - 2:40 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

Try feeding them some cooked chicken mine really took to it they tore bits of it off and piled it up in the nest.

#3 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 11 2017 - 12:09 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
I had an Aphaenogaster colony myself and they would not take anything sweet it seemed. As far as protein though, make sure you cut it to small pieces or its small enough for them to take into their nests. From my reasearch, they don't have social stomachs, like say Camponotus for ex, so they have to carry the food directly into the nest. Mine would take crickets, termites, flies,...just about anything other then my Dubia roaches.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 11 2017 - 7:37 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Oh, they don't like Dubias. :(   Luckily I have found a protein and sugar source that they show interest in. They seem to like canned chicken and graham crackers. They dragged a piece of a cracker into there nest and ate almost the whole thing over the course of a few days. Where do you get your termites?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 11 2017 - 10:48 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Ok, so i have awesome success with fruits and veggies for them. In fact, my A.picea colony likes sweet potato to the point were they've relocated half the colony into the chamber theyve eaten out of the potato. As for proteins, i've had trouble getting mine to accept certain foods. I feed mine termites, crickets, and they LOVE fruit flies. They don't touch roaches or meal worms.

Also this species lacks a social stomach, so getting them to accept liquid can be difficult. Aphaenogaster has been observed using makeshift sponges such as moss to absorb liquids and bring it back to the nest. This is also difficult to replicate in captivity considering feeders don't have enough open surface area or output to absorb into a sponge. Trays will have to consist of more then just a drop of liquid as it would likely be covered before consumed. Anything larger and you risk drowning some workers if they get sucked in.You could try soaking something with sugar liquid and offering it on a tray. You could also offer a crystallized form of various nectar and honeys, or just sugar grains.

I've witnessed my species carrying brood to and from the feeder within their nest. The only issue for most is that its IN the nest, and you have to maintain the liquid within the feeder. Not to mention most liquid feeders are unable to fit within a nest, nor are nest accessible to the point of  placing a liquid feeder within it and not disturbing the colony.

Loops

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted July 11 2017 - 11:12 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

How to feed Aphaeno's honey:
Provide them with shredded autumn leaves, sticks, and dirt. Aphaenogaster workers do not drink the honey directly. Instead, they drop debris onto the food source and carry the honey-coated debris back to the nest.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 13 2017 - 4:48 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN

How to feed Aphaeno's honey:
Provide them with shredded autumn leaves, sticks, and dirt. Aphaenogaster workers do not drink the honey directly. Instead, they drop debris onto the food source and carry the honey-coated debris back to the nest.

I had a colony and let them go but I captured me a queen during nuptial flight and going to try it again. And this tidbit of information may just prove useful. I had no problem and them taking protein it was sugars that gave me issues.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#8 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted July 18 2017 - 11:19 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Here's an extra tip:
Don't give a founding queen too much extra protein. They feed their larvae trophic eggs (Aphaenogasters have no social stomach).

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#9 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 18 2017 - 1:18 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I have a decent sized Aphaenogaster colony (250+) and they eat pretty much any bug I give them - meal worms, super worms, fruit flies, termites, june bugs, and crickets.

For sugars the only thing that they've seemed to like so far is apple slices - so I imagine they like most sugary fruits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users