• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bahamas Anting Trip

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 2 2017 - 5:17 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Another Brachymyrmex obscurior flight happened either 3 or 1 days ago (I forget). There's been a couple more teasings lately.

-

Today was pretty interesting ant-wise. 

At roughly 2:30 PM I found a Solenopsis cf. invicta winged queen wandering/flying around on a sidewalk next to a restaurant called Wrecker's (South side of the island). Minutes later I encountered a swarming colony of S. invicta roughly 25 feet away. It was really different though; There were loads more workers than alates, and I could only see female alates. (and there were only a few of them).

Fast forward 2 hours give or take, and I'm finding loads of Solenopsis cf. invicta queens (mostly dealates) under rocks and wandering around while I search the West side of the island by the beach. Some rocks even had 2-3 queens under them, and the queens were pretty much touching.:

NgI5Bft.jpg

aHocCV8.jpg

I then saw 3 more wandering dealates in the evening. Obviously they must of flown.

20 feet away from the beach water shown in the first pic, (where there are some trees) I found about 5 Odontomachus sp. (or a similar genus like Anochetus) queens under rocks. They are super fast and really aggresive though (one even bit me when I tried holding her down with my finger for a pic, and it did not feel good) so I didn't get any good pics.

Other stuff from today:

A small queen of some sort that I found under a coconut or rock (I forget again):

em3rGWh.jpg?1

AnE17f4.jpg?1

I'll put up an ID thread for her.

A tiny orange alate of some sort (horrible picture):

NVfbpAZ.jpg?1

Edited by Nathant2131, August 2 2017 - 5:39 PM.

#22 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 2 2017 - 5:45 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

ID Thread: http://www.formicult...217/#entry68407

Tapinoma litorale specimen:

No THAT looks similar to that strange queen.

Edited by Nathant2131, August 2 2017 - 5:46 PM.

#23 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 3 2017 - 6:20 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Just added the"Outside Wreckers Bar & Grill" Microhabitat to the first post.

Today was pretty quiet as far as I could tell today. Not sure if B. obscurior flew as I was not out this evening, which is the time they fly.

Edited by Nathant2131, August 3 2017 - 6:25 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#24 Offline kalimant - Posted December 10 2017 - 3:30 PM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Great thread...and yes, the little orange ants look like Wasmannia auropunctata based on the petiole shape (that i could see in the pic)...

I was wondering why you hadn't seen them yet as they are almost native tot he Caribbean...

Great on the P. megacephala....maybe next time you should take GPS readings on the locations of all the ants you find too...

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the study of Pheidole megacephala:

The Pheidole megacephala Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users