• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Spring Hill, TN 7/6/2017

ant id

Best Answer VoidElecent , July 7 2017 - 8:10 PM

Yes! Those are much better pictures!

These are undoubtedly Solenopsis molesta, one of my favorite species to keep in captivity.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ianlee74 - Posted July 6 2017 - 8:13 PM

ianlee74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, TN

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Spring Hill, TN
2. Date of collection: 7/6/2017
3. Habitat of collection: Driveway
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Orange
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Hourglass shaped abdomen. Hairy.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Calm
8. Nest description: n/a

I've been catching Pheidole dentata queens the last few weeks. These look similar but are lighter in color and a few mm shorter in length. I caught two tonight.

Dh5e2dlsSm8c9dM9FHJuZGiSwBAJNgJ4_fMvYb07

yXKsPxqI2vHIW8JjPJHripAg_dAKC_s1Bl2Pf0SK

sAHjiyLzZoSxsvkGwbz0AOMux2QU23qXpPwm1IU1

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 7 2017 - 5:45 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Could be Solenopsis molesta, although you may want to take some closer and clearer images of the ant's head.

#3 Offline ianlee74 - Posted July 7 2017 - 7:44 PM

ianlee74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I caught a few more tonight and got some better pics. I think you may be right about the Solenopsis molesta. It's very similar but I still haven't seen a photo that is a close enough match to make me feel certain.

Thanks!

Ian

Edited by ianlee74, July 7 2017 - 7:45 PM.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 7 2017 - 8:10 PM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

These are undoubtedly Solenopsis molesta, one of my favorite species to keep in captivity.

• FeedTheAnts and ianlee74 like this

#5 Offline ianlee74 - Posted July 7 2017 - 10:04 PM

ianlee74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks! I'm curious what makes them one of your favorites? Given the size of these queens, I'm imagining some small workers. Are they able to sting like the Solenopsis richtori I regularly find around our neighborhood?

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 8 2017 - 9:30 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Thanks! I'm curious what makes them one of your favorites? Given the size of these queens, I'm imagining some small workers. Are they able to sting like the Solenopsis richtori I regularly find around our neighborhood?

Good questions :)

Solenopsis molesta, thief ants, are very unique. They're called 'thief' ants because they specialize and excel in raiding the nest of nearby colonies, in order to steal brood to feed on. They are fairly common, but they are rather hard to find in my opinion. Similar to most very small ants (with the exception of Monomorium and a few others), these ants are relatively inconspicuous and it's not easy to find as many workers foraging as you may with Lasius or Tetramorium species. 

My favorite species to keep all happen to be members of the Myrmecinae subfamily; they seem to be less picky about conditions and a little more hardy. Thief ant stingers are not nearly large enough to actually puncture your skin, but they are aggressive nonetheless! This is one of the reasons I like them; typically, invasive genera like Tetramorium and Solenopsis are happy with whatever resources they can get, and native, more delicate species like Prenolepis imparis and Brachymyrmex depilis have slightly steeper preferences.

Also, I tend to be the kind of person to admire the aesthetic and visual aspects of ant castes, so I appreciate their miniature body sizes and bright orange, shiny coloration.

Good luck with these, you should consider starting a journal if you plan on keeping them long-term. I'd recommend checking out some of Aaron's or Nathan's journals if you're unfamiliar with the concept. Most of the journals there are pretty professional and impressive, so you could really look at any of them. I do hope these queens do well, I don't know too many people who actually keep Solenopsis molesta.

#7 Offline ianlee74 - Posted July 8 2017 - 7:37 PM

ianlee74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Have you ever tried keeping them with another colony to be able to observe the "thief" behavior? That would be an interesting way to control the size of a larger colony.

I agree that they are a pretty species. That's a big part of why I was so curious to figure out what species they were. I typically don't bother with these tiny ants but you've peaked my interest. I kept 5 and I'm going to see where this goes. Maybe once they have some eggs I'll start a journal. I do keep a journal already for myself but its not really very interesting if they turn out to be infertile.

Thanks again!

Ian

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 8 2017 - 8:15 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Have you ever tried keeping them with another colony to be able to observe the "thief" behavior? That would be an interesting way to control the size of a larger colony.

I agree that they are a pretty species. That's a big part of why I was so curious to figure out what species they were. I typically don't bother with these tiny ants but you've peaked my interest. I kept 5 and I'm going to see where this goes. Maybe once they have some eggs I'll start a journal. I do keep a journal already for myself but its not really very interesting if they turn out to be infertile.

Thanks again!

Ian

I have never done that, although it seems like a very good idea! I know the various S. molesta colonies I have in my yard live in very close vicinity to Tapinoma sessile, I've even seen workers of the two species interact with no aggression at all!

Good luck with these, I hope they do well! Since they're members of the Solenopsis genus, from my experience, they tend to produce brood fairly quickly once the egg-laying really gets going.

#9 Offline ianlee74 - Posted July 8 2017 - 8:23 PM

ianlee74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Good luck with these, I hope they do well! Since they're members of the Solenopsis genus, from my experience, they tend to produce brood fairly quickly once the egg-laying really gets going.

According to the Wikipedia article on them, a queen can average 105 eggs per day. So, yea, I fully expect this to be an interesting ride. They're also polygynous. So, if I decide to combine the queens it will get REALLY interesting really fast. The real question will be in regards to containment. I don't have a great track record so far with containing tiny ants. Here we go!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users