• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Found Some Tetramorium Queens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 4 2017 - 3:31 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Earlier today I was at a pool in Methuen, MA. Beside the pool, there was a pool noodle on the ground that must have had somewhere between 25-50 Tetramorium caespitum queens in them, both alates and dealates (about a ratio of 50:50, of alates and dealates). When I poured them out of the noodle by bumping it against the hot ground, I realized only then that the queens were probably trying to escape the extreme heat of the stone ground. Within only a few minutes, 75% of the queens quickly burned to death. The ones who managed to find shelter before overheating however (like on top of small weeds growing in between the cracks) survived. I ended up with 5 dealates and 2 alates.

At about 7:00 PM, I put the 5 dealates into the same glass test tube setup to test their supposed pleometrotic behaviour. So far they have proved to be very peaceful with each other. I have a few questions:

• Has it been confirmed that Tetramorium caespitum are pleometrotic or polygynous (or neither)? I do know that Tetramorium caespitum has been predicted to be a complex of several different species, so is it possible that only certain species display certain behaviours? 

• Is it possible that I picked up more than 1 different species, because of the assumed species complex? 

• The queens that I collected seemed to be in a bad situation before I captured them, if my theory is true about them being trapped in the noodle becuase of the heat. Might it be smart to provide them with some protein and/or sugar? They do seem a little tired from their adventure.

Any general help or suggestions on care is also appreciated. Thanks very much!

here is a picture of them. They seem very comfortable being together. Right now the queens are tucking their gasters beneath them, and "sniffing" each other.

sxjCRz4.jpg

Edited by Nathant2131, July 4 2017 - 6:18 PM.

#2 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted July 4 2017 - 5:11 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

1. Polygyny has been documented in Tetramorium cf. caespitum. I've seen notes from keepers online that one queen is eventually killed when reared this way, but I've seen other notes to the contrary. You are correct. It has been speculated, and there is some evidence, that Tetramorium caespitum is a complex of identical species. It could be that polygynous behavior is associated with certain species within this complex.

2. It is technically possible, though highly unlikely, that your queens are different species. They are most likely from related colonies in the area or even the same colony.

3. I would just leave them and let them do their thing. 

I've kept up to 10 Tetramorium queens together during the founding stage and separated them after workers eclosed without any issues when I was low on space. These ants are robust to mistakes and adapt easily to changing conditions. Given general care applicable to most species, these ants will thrive.

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 4 2017 - 5:26 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

1. Polygyny has been documented in Tetramorium cf. caespitum. I've seen notes from keepers online that one queen is eventually killed when reared this way, but I've seen other notes to the contrary. You are correct. It has been speculated, and there is some evidence, that Tetramorium caespitum is a complex of identical species. It could be that polygynous behavior is associated with certain species within this complex.

2. It is technically possible, though highly unlikely, that your queens are different species. They are most likely from related colonies in the area or even the same colony.

3. I would just leave them and let them do their thing. 

I've kept up to 10 Tetramorium queens together during the founding stage and separated them after workers eclosed without any issues when I was low on space. These ants are robust to mistakes and adapt easily to changing conditions. Given general care applicable to most species, these ants will thrive.

Thanks!

it's 9:20 PM and there are already 4 eggs  :o  So that's a little over 2 hours after giving them the test tube! Something tells me they'll do just fine.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 4 2017 - 6:21 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Just introduced the 2 alates into the group (Well, actually I just threw them in there like before :lol:); The others seemingly gladly accepted them. It was funny; One of the alates only had half her wings, and it fell off milleseconds before I dropped her into the group.

I actually collected as many of the dead queens I could at the scene in hopes that they will miraculously come back to life; So far nothing is moving a muscle.

JQYuiK5.jpg

Edited by Nathant2131, July 4 2017 - 6:24 PM.

#5 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted July 17 2017 - 4:20 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Very interesting! How are they doing? 

Check out my Youtube

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 17 2017 - 5:44 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Very interesting! How are they doing?

I have a journal in the "my ants" section of my signature. They laid what I won't be surprised is well over 100 eggs before I went on vacation. We will see how they are doing when I get back ;)

Edited by Nathant2131, July 17 2017 - 5:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users