• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where to find Crematogaster queens?

crematogaster crematogaster queen anting nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted July 3 2017 - 12:07 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So next month is the beginning of Crematogaster season and I really want a colony of these ants. I live in Chicago, Illinois, and I was wondering where and what time of day to search for dealates of this species. Also, if anyone has any experience or tips on keeping this species, please let me know.

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 3 2017 - 12:40 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Next month is? Are you sure? Last year i remember these queens flying early august. I could be completely wrong, but i feel like it's still a little early.

As for searching, i would highly recommend searching during the day/night of the flight. These queens are usually quick at digging their founding chambers, so finding them as soon as you can is the key. Last year, flights took place starting around 7PM after a good storm. The flights were so intense, a local news company wrote about them as they were flying throughout Grand Rapids. I myself have rarely found queens during founding stage, and have had best of luck paying attention to flights.

Good way is to find a mother colony and watch for their alates. You can prepare if you have the space, set up some bricks and stones over dirt so your queens have some spots to hide. You can also try adding some planks of wood, among other things of various weights.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#3 Offline Ameise - Posted July 3 2017 - 1:31 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

So next month is the beginning of Crematogaster season and I really want a colony of these ants. I live in Chicago, Illinois, and I was wondering where and what time of day to search for dealates of this species. Also, if anyone has any experience or tips on keeping this species, please let me know.

I live in Will County, and I've been finding Crematogaster queens around... I found one while tearing apart my old fence and she had larvæ.

Loops117: Next month is August.

#4 Offline cpman - Posted July 3 2017 - 3:10 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I've found them in a variety of places. It depends on the species. Like most ants, a pool is good.

I've found others just walking around on the ground and/or trees. I've also found some that turned oak galls into their founding chambers.

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 3 2017 - 7:48 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

i too have been looking for these, thanks for the info!

Edited by Mdrogun, July 3 2017 - 7:55 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 5 2017 - 6:22 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I live in Will County, and I've been finding Crematogaster queens around... I found one while tearing apart my old fence and she had larvæ.

Loops117: Next month is August.

I'm lost fam. Thought it was still June.

#7 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 5 2017 - 6:49 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I would love to get some of these too - they are fairly uncommon, unfortunately.

I know there are some colonies down by Lake Argyle near Macome in a wooded/foresty area but that's quite a bit of ways away.  (3.5+ hour drive).

I live over in Rockford - I will definitely let you know if I find any.

#8 Offline Nincadaguy - Posted July 5 2017 - 12:45 PM

Nincadaguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

If you ever want to easily find Crematogaster, please come down to Tulsa, there are SOOO many Crematogaster colonies, they even flew today and I snagged a queen.

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted July 9 2017 - 3:18 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Ultraex2 Rockford is only an hour drive from where I live. If you find any that you don't want you could sell some of them through the GAN project. I would be happy to buy one. Also, I caught two Tetramorium dealates and I only want one colony of them, so I might be able to trade you a Tetramorium queen for a Crematogaster queen, if you want.

#10 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 11 2017 - 12:17 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
I have recently caught me 3 Crematogaster queens. 2 had already made chambers in semi-rotten sticks roughly an inch or so diameter. The 3rd I found around 5pm while queen hunting down a gravel/dirt road. I have Crematogaster all over around my house but maybe this information will help. Also, if you manage to catch one, they like heat, so a heating cable would help. I have a colony of them already with roughly 100+ workers and they keep their brood right next to the heating cable wall.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#11 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 11 2017 - 10:20 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I have recently caught me 3 Crematogaster queens. 2 had already made chambers in semi-rotten sticks roughly an inch or so diameter. The 3rd I found around 5pm while queen hunting down a gravel/dirt road. I have Crematogaster all over around my house but maybe this information will help. Also, if you manage to catch one, they like heat, so a heating cable would help. I have a colony of them already with roughly 100+ workers and they keep their brood right next to the heating cable wall.

This perfect material for the mating chart

#12 Offline CNewton - Posted August 4 2017 - 12:42 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

How, exactly, did you choose to check the rotten sticks? Is there a tell-tale hole, loose bark, certain position? Is one species more likely to nest in dirt over wood, or is this a primarily arboreal ant? Is late August a better time to expect flights? Questions, questions, questions...

#13 Offline Ameise - Posted August 4 2017 - 2:58 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

As of right now (as correction to earlier), I've only found (and am keeping) one Crematogaster queen in Will County - she has three workers right now. I've kept an eye out, but haven't seen any others.

#14 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 6 2017 - 7:06 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Crematogaster scutellaris all around where I live. It's hot with no rain in sight, and no sign of flying. August is already here, hopefully they'll fly soon.
Any advice on how to catch and make founding set up, as they hey seem to be arboreal? The red headed rascals keep making trails high up the pine trees. Even on the ground, they appear to favor treading along exposed pine roots.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, crematogaster queen, anting, nuptial flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users