• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long can ants go without food?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Wesley927 - Posted July 2 2017 - 6:42 PM

Wesley927

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
Hey guys, I just left for a four day vacation and realized I left my ants without food. They have water though, they are still in a Test Tube. There’s one queen and six workers, and some eggs. Can they survive four days without food/sugar?

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 2 2017 - 7:09 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
They could probably survive weeks
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 2 2017 - 8:08 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

They can easily survive four days without food. 

#4 Offline Cindy - Posted July 3 2017 - 10:34 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
I'll be back in MA tomorrow and I'll let you know how they've been doing for the last 10 days. :P
  • Spamdy likes this

#5 Offline souljah212 - Posted July 4 2017 - 10:33 AM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I was wondering the same thing. I plan to be away for about 3 to 4 weeks, with no one to check on them for me. Any by then probably only having a few workers, will they be able to survive a month without food? 

#6 Offline dermy - Posted July 4 2017 - 11:40 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I was wondering the same thing. I plan to be away for about 3 to 4 weeks, with no one to check on them for me. Any by then probably only having a few workers, will they be able to survive a month without food? 

With this long of a period, [assuming they are temperate ants that usually hibernate]. I would recommended putting them into a hibernational state. Make sure you feed them pretty good [and clean up the food afterwards] before you put them somewhere cool. Since a month without food [esp. for a small colony] might be too much for them.

• souljah212 likes this

#7 Offline souljah212 - Posted July 4 2017 - 12:02 PM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks for the advice! 

#8 Offline Cindy - Posted July 6 2017 - 7:08 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

The ants were fine for 10 days without food. They were ravenous though, given all the newly eclosed workers.

• dermy and souljah212 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users