• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting

photobucket 3rd party hosting pictures

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted June 30 2017 - 6:49 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Photobucket was sold last week and no longer allows 3rd party hosting.

What does this mean?

Well, it means that unless the user chooses to spend $400 a year, that none of their pictures linked from that site will show up.

Free storage space was also downsized and accounts will be frozen if this limit is exceeded and the user does not want to pay.

The new terms also say that they own your pictures as well.

This also means that any pictures that are hosted on Photobucket are most likely not showing up now.

What can I do?

At this point, unfortunately, not much. Hopefully your account is not frozen and you can go and remove the pictures to upload them elsewhere.

For those who were around in the distant past, this exact same thing occurred with angelfire, geocities, and tripod when they stopped offering free hosting.

What other free picture hosting services are out there?

I did a quick bit of research and it seems that quite a few places recommend

• Google+ Photos
  • Flickr
  • Smugmug
  • Imgur
  • 500px

There are likely others out there as well that are good. Feel free to comment upon them. You can also upload pictures to Formiculture directly.

As much of a hassle as it is, if any users here have pictures on Photobucket that are linked on this site, can you please ensure that we can see them?

I know this is a huge inconvenience, but I am also in the same boat. I know it will take me days to locate and update every single picture I have posted on this forum since I have well over 500 among my various journals and tutorials.

Edited by Crystals, June 30 2017 - 6:49 AM.

• dermy likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:13 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So the photobucket account I made..... 10 years ago no longer exists?! 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:16 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

So the photobucket account I made..... 10 years ago no longer exists?! 

It still exists. If you linked any of the pictures to a forum, they are no longer visible.

You will see some odd error like is showing in all of my tutorials & guides.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:20 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Who uses Photobucket? Seriously it's the worst image uploading site I know and everytime I wanna see a picture uploaded with it I need to click through half a billion temporary script exceptions or my NoScript will just block off the page entirely. Photobucket is awful and I definitely won't miss it.
  • dermy, Jash and Nathant2131 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:20 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I use Postimage.org and i recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Great site, and super easy to use. The site is also mobile friendly. I upload from my phone all the time just so i can use them on my pc. Beats the heck out of transferring from the phone to the computer, and then uploading.

The layout is also really easy, and doesnt require a viewer to have some account to take a look.

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:22 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I forgot about photobucket when I discovered reddit/imgur. I'm trying to remember my login though... 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:38 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Who uses Photobucket? Seriously it's the worst image uploading site I know and everytime I wanna see a picture uploaded with it I need to click through half a billion temporary script exceptions or my NoScript will just block off the page entirely. Photobucket is awful and I definitely won't miss it.

It has definitely gotten bad through the years.

Our IT class signed up in it in highschool almost a decade ago and I simply ran with it since everything I uploaded was there already.

Flickr seems to be very popular, so I might move everything there since I already have a yahoo email address.

My Colonies

#8 Offline dermy - Posted June 30 2017 - 9:10 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I hated Photobucket anyway. Once I learned about imgur that was the end of my Photobucket days. It took forever to load an image if someone didn't post the  IMG code thing.

Edited by dermy, June 30 2017 - 9:11 AM.

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted June 30 2017 - 11:30 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Imgur is what I use. Like dermy, I originally was using photo bucket. I found imgur and love it. Never will I use anything else,... unless imgur where to change.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline cpman - Posted June 30 2017 - 11:58 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Ugh -- that site has really gotten cancerous over the years.

It was pretty good for a while (like when I joined), but its slowly gotten worse, and worse, and worse.

Their new TOS are terrible, and they didn't even notify me that they had changed!

Now I'm deleting all my photos from there -- but they don't have any mass delete function so I manually have to select all of my several hundred images.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photobucket, 3rd party hosting, pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users