• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pensacola, FL. Male and Queen ID; 6/29/17

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 29 2017 - 1:01 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Today at 3:00 PM, after some rain, I found a male and a queen in my pool that I do not know the species of. I have tried to find out what they are, but after searching through queen and male specimens on AntWeb, I still can't figure it out.

Queen

Size: 5mm

I kept thinking this was Dolichoderus. The petiole doesn't match and the head shape may not quite match with Dolichoderus either.

IMG_1381_zps9ra1os1f.jpg

IMG_1390_zpspybwwakl.jpgIMG_1394_zpsvmhqfjnl.jpgIMG_1405_zpscemwwjfr.jpgIMG_1401_zpsqgj6afbv.jpgIMG_1409_zpsmlurlghv.jpg

IMG_1416_zpsdrwsjloe.jpgIMG_1421_zpsrlagfkih.jpg

Male

Size: 9mm

I do not know what this is. It has mandibles, elbowed antennae, and one petiole node. I thought it could've been Leptogenys at first but then realized that Leptogenys males do not have mandibles. 

IMG_1370_zpshehclt0n.jpgIMG_1372_zpshq05a9zz.jpg

IMG_1396_zpsqprm1zgr.jpg

IMG_1400_zpspqtghdf5.jpg

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 29 2017 - 1:47 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I have been doing more research and I believe the queen could be Dorymyrmex reginicula. Still have no idea what the male could be though. :(

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 9 2018 - 9:02 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Getting to this a litte (well, a lot) late but...

The queen is indeed Dorymyrmex reginicula. Good find. These are temporary parasites of D. bossuta, and D. bureni, not commonly encountered.

The male ant is Formica pallidefulva.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users