• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strange Queen ID Katy, Texas 6/28/17

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 7:57 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Okay so first of all I know that these are terrible pictures but this is literally the best my phone camera can do, so I'll describe the queen in the best detail I can.

1. Location: Katy, Texas

2. Date: 6/27/17

3. Habitat: My backyard pool, grassy area.

4. Length: Varies between queens, but my biggest is 6 millimeters.

5. Coloration: Yellow translucent gaster with a few dark stripes, dark red thorax and head. Short bent antennae. No visable hair. No postpetiole.

6. Charactoristics: None.

7. Behavior: Lost her wings and laid eggs in just a few days.

8. No nest description, I've never even seen a worker of this species so they must have a large flying range.

9. Terrible Pictures:

putYE

THp5Y

(If you have any idea why my camera won't focus, or want me to try my hardest at taking better pictures let me know. Also let me know if you want a picture at any other angle.)

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 8:01 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

If you look at the formiculture logo in the top left of the screen, the ants in the background look how I could imagine the workers would look. Translucent yellow gasters with dark red thoraxes and heads. Does anybody know the species?

#3 Offline Bryansant - Posted June 29 2017 - 7:20 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Someone [edit: may have] ID'd these ants. And I put up a couple larger photos; do yours look like these: http://www.formicult...x-june-27-2017/

Edited by Bryansant, June 29 2017 - 9:50 PM.

#4 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 30 2017 - 11:52 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Someone [edit: may have] ID'd these ants. And I put up a couple larger photos; do yours look like these: http://www.formicult...x-june-27-2017/

Yes, it's Solenopsis molesta.

• Loops117 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users