• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Austin, TX. June 27, 2017

orange queen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bryansant - Posted June 28 2017 - 9:13 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

1. Location of collection: Austin, Texas, Travis County, in the pool of a suburban apartment complex in south Austin
2. Date of collection: June 27, 2017, early morning, around 7 am; hard rain the night before and still overcast when I noticed them.
3. Habitat of collection: Suburban neighborhood. There are a lot of live oak, red oak, Chinese elm, grass lawns, and other residential/commercial developer landscaping around.
4. Length: 6-7 mm. Apologies, I was able to measure and they are 5 mm.

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: they're orange - they are a bit smaller than S. invicta but look very similar
6. Distinguishing characteristics: quite small and difficult to make out their finer points
7. Anything else distinctive: their orange color
8. Nest description: unknown - new swimming sailor queens.

tn_gallery_823_865_86627.jpg

tn_gallery_823_865_64429.jpg

tn_gallery_823_865_43702.jpg

tn_gallery_823_865_106578.jpg

tn_gallery_823_865_156337.jpg

tn_gallery_823_865_9483.jpg

Edited by Bryansant, June 29 2017 - 9:55 PM.

#2 Offline cpman - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:28 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

6-7mm means it's not a native fire ant and it's probably not one of the their ants (I think the biggest queens of those are ~5mm, but don't quote me on that).

do you have any way to see how many segments are in the antennal club that these ants appear to have?

On another note, I had a yellowish ant fly in the past few days here. I haven't looked closely yet, but it may be the same species as these queens. As I'm also in Austin, that would make sense. I'll check under the microscope tomorrow.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 29 2017 - 1:03 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Solenopsis molesta

#4 Offline Bryansant - Posted June 29 2017 - 7:15 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Thank you both for the input. Looks like I copy/pasted the photos from my gallery folder and into my post incorrectly - they are a bit bigger and clearer than those. 

med_gallery_823_865_64429.jpg

med_gallery_823_865_156337.jpg

med_gallery_823_865_86627.jpg

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 29 2017 - 7:49 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Most of these look like Pheidole to me.

• cpman likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Bryansant - Posted June 29 2017 - 9:54 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

do you have any way to see how many segments are in the antennal club that these ants appear to have?

I'm in the market for one of those macro lens phone camera adapters and will update as soon as I have better photos or find a magnifying lens.

#7 Offline cpman - Posted June 30 2017 - 12:05 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

They look like Pheidole to me too. See the spines on the end of the mesosoma in the first photo -- S. molesta doesn't have those.

Edited by cpman, June 30 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 30 2017 - 2:01 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They look like Pheidole to me too. See the spines on the end of the mesosoma in the first photo -- S. molesta doesn't have those.

Most of these look like Pheidole to me.

I kinda agree. Apart from any scientific reason(which I have none)they appear to have a more blocky, large head, and I've seen lots of S. molesta queens and they look a little different. S. molesta queens tend to have a little bit of a Crematogaster shape to them, and these are shaped more like Pheidole to me. I could be wrong but I would say these are Pheidole

I accidentally froze all my ants 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: orange, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users