• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ultra's Parasitic Lasius (L. cf Claviger/Umbratus) journal [6/25/17 -> 5/09/18, ENDED]

parasitic lasius parasitic lasius lasius claviger claviger

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Reevak - Posted October 11 2017 - 8:08 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Is there an update for this colony coming soon or did something go wrong?

#22 Offline ultraex2 - Posted October 12 2017 - 7:51 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Is there an update for this colony coming soon or did something go wrong?

I can update, but for whatever reason the larvae are still at exactly the same state as they were a couple months ago - not sure what's going on, to be honest.  I've basically just figured that they need to hibernate before the brood will start developing again.

I'll post one more update post before I put them in hibernation.  I did catch another one, so this winter I'm going to try to introduce it to some Lasius Alienus workers from the colony I have.

#23 Offline ultraex2 - Posted April 16 2018 - 7:36 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Update 4/16/18:

Took all my ants out of hibernation and they're all starting to develop again.  The first cocoon developed (there's 6 more now, the picture only has 1 which is in the middle) and it looks like the first generation of parasitic workers will hatch within the next month or so.  The queen also laid another small batch of eggs as well, so hopefully this colony will grow big this year.

Pretty excited and glad that the colony is going good!  Somehow none of the workers died over hibernation as well, so that's a plus!

Edited by ultraex2, April 17 2018 - 5:43 AM.

• noebl1, Reevak and piratechef like this

#24 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 16 2018 - 1:44 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

And now that nothing has died out, this suddenly became a lot more interesting. Keep us notified!

• ultraex2 likes this

#25 Offline Jamiesname - Posted April 17 2018 - 11:46 AM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I'm looking forward to this one. I recently found one of these (can't tell if it's L. Umbratus or L. Clavigar) less than a week ago. It must have just come out of hibernation. I put some of my L. Neoniger brood in with her, so I'm just waiting for the workers to eclose and the queen should lay eggs shortly after that.

Keep us posted!

Edited by Jamiesname, April 17 2018 - 11:46 AM.

#26 Offline antnest8 - Posted April 17 2018 - 1:35 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

love the journal

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#27 Offline ultraex2 - Posted May 9 2018 - 9:35 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Update 5/09/18:

Bad news!  I'm going to wait for this batch of eggs to finish hatching (about 2 dozen cocoons) but all the ants that have hatched so far are males which are pointing to an unfertilized queen... super dissapointed to find that out.

Really sucks, but the good news is I have a bunch of L. Neoniger queens with eggs that I'll be able to take brood from so hopefully I will get another one going this year that is actually fertile.  Thanks for the support everyone!  I will post pictures later this week, just sucks having to look at them.

Edited by ultraex2, May 14 2018 - 8:16 AM.

#28 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 9 2018 - 9:48 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Oh no! I was looking forward to this journal. :(  :*(

• ultraex2 likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#29 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 9 2018 - 10:26 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

It was a nice run. Keep it and see how long it goes.

• ultraex2 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#30 Offline antnest8 - Posted May 9 2018 - 4:43 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

keep the ants. some queens lay males first. if a couple batches come without workers then you can consider throwing them away

• ultraex2 likes this

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#31 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 9 2018 - 5:39 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

keep the ants. some queens lay males first. if a couple batches come without workers then you can consider throwing them away

I second this. My L. Latipes had a male hatch first, only 1 though. The rest are workers. Regardless, hold on to them for the summer and see what happens. Worst case scenario = using all the males as food for your other colonies.

#32 Offline ultraex2 - Posted May 14 2018 - 7:01 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I second this. My L. Latipes had a male hatch first, only 1 though. The rest are workers. Regardless, hold on to them for the summer and see what happens. Worst case scenario = using all the males as food for your other colonies.

Will do... I also managed to catch another parasitic Lasius, so hopefully I can get that one started.

edit: also added pictures to the update post, for those interested.

Edited by ultraex2, May 14 2018 - 8:16 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parasitic, lasius, parasitic lasius, lasius claviger, claviger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users