• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmidon's Tetramorium sp. Journal

tetramorium sp. e tetramorium caespitum

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 23 2017 - 10:52 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

Well, I was lucky to find a wandering Tetramorium queen in Boston and she has since started to lay her first eggs, so I think it's time to journal it! Also this signals the start of the Tetramorium flights in the region so this may expand to other queens in the future.

She was caught June 22nd, 2017 at 4 pm and as of now she has around 6 - 8 very small eggs:

IMG_3540_zpsdkimrubr.jpg

IMG_3538_zps6nzdipet.jpg

IMG_3536_zpsgbaiuw2k.jpg

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#2 Offline Myrmidon - Posted July 7 2017 - 6:20 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

So sadly, the above queen has passed and is in ant heaven. Not really sure what could have caused it - could be a lot of things. But there are Tetra flights happening and I managed to find two more just around my house. I'll just label them queen 1 and queen 2. Both have eggs and are adjusting rather well. They like to perch close and on top of the cotton which makes me think they like a bit more moisture. Anyway, hopefully I am able to raise them both successfully: 

Queen 1:

IMG_3593_zpsdayte2u4.jpg

Queen 2: 

IMG_3596_zpshjmninzo.jpg

Edited by Myrmidon, July 7 2017 - 8:38 AM.

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium sp. e, tetramorium caespitum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users