• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 23 2017 - 8:06 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So I recently caught a Camponotus nearcticus dealate and am looking forward to seeing her first nanitics. If anyone has has any experience or tips keeping this species please tell me. Thanks!

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 23 2017 - 8:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I have 4 Camponotus cf. nearcticus queens/small colonies colonies that are doing well for me. Their brood develops faster than the larger Camponotus species. The 2 colonies I have are so small though (1-2 workers) that I can't tell if they are drinking the sunburst ant nectar I've given them. My guess is probably.

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 23 2017 - 9:17 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I have a colony that I got from a log back in August of last year - they like a dry nest and like a heating pad up to i'd say 80ish degrees.  On hot days they do move away from the heating pad but when it cools down they move back under it.

I've fed them wax worms/mealworms/crickets/fruit and they seem to like them all.  For sugars they seem to like honey or apple jam - I also gave them a piece of caramel corn that they also enjoy.

The colonies are on the smaller side I think - they are sitting at probably right around 100 and the brood is growing fairly slowly.

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 23 2017 - 10:47 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So for C. nearcticus, how big do the colonies get? What size formicarium would be the best?

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 23 2017 - 11:08 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Their maximum colony size, according to what researchers found on wikipedia, is about 530 but most had 100-300 in them.  A small formicarium should be enough space for them.

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted July 9 2017 - 3:23 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Update: My camponotus nearcticus queen has two larvae and zero eggs or pupae.

#7 Offline Antking117 - Posted July 9 2017 - 3:37 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

If you plan on updating I'd recommend starting a journal, also pictures!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, carpenter ants, camponotus nearcticus, care, general ant keeping, colony care, camponotus care, camponotus nearcticus care, carpenter ant care, camponotus colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users