• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Findin' queens where they ain't supposed to be

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 23 2017 - 11:58 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

How long is she? That almost looks like a pheidole major with wings!

16-17 mm. This major's got some explaining to do.

I think the head looks disproportionally large because of the angle I took the photos at, I assure you this is Pogonomyrmex.

Edited by VoidElecent, June 23 2017 - 12:00 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#22 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 23 2017 - 12:45 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

I think the head looks disproportionally large because of the angle I took the photos at, I assure you this is Pogonomyrmex.

Your ID is correct, but unless you've found some sort of giant northern race of Pogonomyrmex badius, a more accurate estimate would fall within 10-12mm.

Perhaps her poor condition leading to her demise is the result of a weak natal colony nearly 2 states north from any recorded population. Human transportation and weather are other possibilities that could result in a such a distance traveled. In any case I'd preserve her as a specimen and note her exact capture location.
  • Martialis likes this

#23 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 23 2017 - 12:50 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Your ID is correct, but unless you've found some sort of giant northern race of Pogonomyrmex badius, a more accurate estimate would fall within 10-12mm.

Perhaps her poor condition leading to her demise is the result of a weak natal colony nearly 2 states north from any recorded population. Human transportation and weather are other possibilities that could result in a such a distance traveled. In any case I'd preserve her as a specimen and note her exact capture location.

You're right, 16-17 mm was a bit of an exaggeration. I remeasured her, and recorded a length about 12 m. I've also thought of several reasons she may have been so far up north:

1. The area I visited was almost entirely farmland, and the family I have over there is always shipping soil and fertilizer from the south; there's a chance a recent shipment contained a colony or a queen. If this is the case, i actually think an entire colony was shipped- I noticed a number of major and minor workers in the relative vicinity of where this specimen was caught.

2. The habitat was similar to where I live now, but there was an abundance of pine trees rather than deciduous, and the soil was awfully sandy, it reminded me of a southern forest. There's a chance a queen (somehow) made her way up north due to human commerce or some miraculously powerful wind, and the conditions were just right for her to found and develop a colony large enough to produce alates.

3. Lots of people, Southerners included, visit the camp site I did. There's a chance she landed on one of their cars or bags and didn't hop off until she reached PA. That could explain her deteriorated physical state, as well.

Regardless, I'm glad I have her. I have plans to hand her over to a certain ant-loving individual, who will have a better idea of what to do with her than I do. I am, of course, very disappointed that she passed, but there's not too much I could have done.

Edited by VoidElecent, June 23 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#24 Offline ForestDragon - Posted July 8 2020 - 5:51 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I wouldn't doubt if Pogonomyrmex would be present up north. There is actually a record of badius in ohio but it is listed as doubtful. Also the fact that your neighbors ship up soil and fertilizer down south could have introduced them into your area, where you see the minor and major workers see if you can monitor them and then find out if they show up next year after winter. then you can confidently say they can survive up there. Remember that Pogonomyrmex occidentalis can survive up in canada and hibernate, I understand that badius is eastern, and is more tropical but they can be in North Carolina which does get cold during the winter. So be ready for more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users