• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Findin' queens where they ain't supposed to be

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 20 2017 - 11:46 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hello all,

I've taken a small break from Formiculture for the last week or so, but not from anting. My brother and I have still been blackilighting and looking for queens in the mornings and afternoons, and we have had much success! We've found droves of Tetramorium of course, as well as many Lasius interjectus and Camponotus spp. queens. We have also caught a number of queens whose documentation in Pennsylvania is either very limited or nonexistent, including:

• Colobopsis impressa
  • Pheidole bicarinata
  • Pheidole pilifera
  • Forelius pruinosus
  • Pogonomyrmex badius

I am very excited about the ants we've caught, especially the Colobopsis and the Forelius, however I'm rather surprised that they've made appearances here in Philly. The Pogonomyrmex badius queen unfortunately passed away, we caught her while camping in southern PA near WV, and she was very week to begin with; she must have been stepped on or burned by the sun on the hot asphalt she was found on.

Both Pheidole queens showed up to my blacklight in the suburb of Philly I live in; although it's odd considering the utter lack of any apparent Pheidole colonies near where I live. There's always a chance they're there and I just haven't seen them, but we have baited nearby areas religiously with seeds, cookies and sugar water for the past couple months and there's no reason we wouldn't have had any big-headed visitors. The first is definitely P. bicarinata, she's orange and slightly bulky but I'm not sure about the second. I've heard that P. pilifera is slightly smaller, with a back gaster and a less bulky physique, but she seems to be the same size, maybe even slightly larger and just as bulky. She is a darker color though, and her gaster is definitely blackish/brownish.

The Colobopsis find was just as obscure, but a little more reasonable than the Forelius. She was attracted to my blacklight last night, and I stuffed her into a standard TT setup. It's just a little odd we caught C. impressa; I had kept a close eye on the C. mississippiensis colony I had located in our yard but I had never noticed C. impressa.

The Forelius just freaked me out; I had never seen Forelius pruinosus in my life. I had a tee time for 6 am this morning, so I woke up very early and found several (3) queens at the golf course. I thought it was just some weird golf course phenomenon, so I scooped 'em up in the vials I had with me and stuffed 'em in my bag. I then went to Taco Bell after the 18 holes and at around 11:00 am, and caught two more on the sidewalk walking from the Taco Bell to my car. I then returned home, and caught one on the sidewalk in front of my house. These do also look like Dorymyrmex bicolor but I figured they're more likely Forelius than Dorymyrmex.

So, does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Maybe the recorded documentation of these species on Antmaps.org and Antweb.org is just very outdated, and the ants have spread since then. Would it be beneficial to contact a registered taxonomist? Regardless, I'll definitely report these to the mating chart and if anyone has any insight, I would be very appreciative.

I am also in the market for a new, more reliable and preferably brighter black light than the one I currently own. If you have any recommendations, those would also be greatly appreciated. We tried using LED blacklight flashlights to illuminate a white sheet, but they just suck. Plain and simple. We would also be open to other types of lights, so don't feel like you have to restrict recommendations to only black lights.

Thank you all for your help, hopefully I have time to be more active now that summer has officially begun.

• Nathant2131 and ace2184 like this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 20 2017 - 12:08 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Wow, how many queens/colonies in all do you have? Is it really 104?

Edited by Nathant2131, June 20 2017 - 12:08 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 20 2017 - 12:41 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Wow, how many queens/colonies in all do you have? Is it really 104?

Right now we have 111, but a significant number of them (40 or 50) are likely unmated Tetramorium that we are planning on releasing.

Edited by VoidElecent, June 20 2017 - 12:42 PM.

• Shareallicu and Nathant2131 like this

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted June 20 2017 - 12:48 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Wow! Pretty interesting. I recently found Pheidole megacephala in northeast Philadelphia.
Spoiler

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 20 2017 - 12:49 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Wow! Pretty interesting. I recently found Pheidole megacephala in northeast Philadelphia.

Oh no  :(

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted June 20 2017 - 1:00 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
They were in a greenhouse; probably imported from Florida.
  • Nathant2131 likes this
Spoiler

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted June 20 2017 - 1:02 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Any pics of the Pogonomyrmex?

Edited by Martialis, June 20 2017 - 1:15 PM.

Spoiler

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 20 2017 - 1:18 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Any pics of the Pogonomyrmex?

I still have the deceased specimen, going to take some photos when my camera is fully charged. I really wish she hadn't passed.

• noebl1 and Martialis like this

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted June 20 2017 - 3:18 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I catch Pheidole pilfera in late June by the masses, similar to Tetramorium, however I've seen very few Pheidole nests around here. Antmaps lists Pogonomyrmex as a species in NJ, however Milta claimed that was likely false. It would be pretty cool to see Pogonomyrmex starting to appear around here.

• noebl1 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 20 2017 - 3:42 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I catch Pheidole pilfera in late June by the masses, similar to Tetramorium, however I've seen very few Pheidole nests around here. Antmaps lists Pogonomyrmex as a species in NJ, however Milta claimed that was likely false. It would be pretty cool to see Pogonomyrmex starting to appear around here.

Interesting, we have a heck of a time finding Pheidole here in MA.  What technique do you use (like light traps), or just catching them on the ground post flight?  Trying to understand where/when/how to find them.  Thanks!

#11 Offline Kevin - Posted June 20 2017 - 3:56 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Interesting, we have a heck of a time finding Pheidole here in MA.  What technique do you use (like light traps), or just catching them on the ground post flight?  Trying to understand where/when/how to find them.  Thanks!

Actually, the swimming pool is plenty. It probably would be more efficient than a black light too for some species, its a perfect trap for them.

• noebl1 likes this

#12 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 20 2017 - 4:16 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Actually, the swimming pool is plenty. It probably would be more efficient than a black light too for some species, its a perfect trap for them.

Good info, thank you!

• Kevin likes this

#13 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 20 2017 - 4:32 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

You find Pheidole in pools with Tetramorium? That's neat, I never thought that'd be the case. Do they also fly to black lights?

#14 Offline Kevin - Posted June 20 2017 - 5:25 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You find Pheidole in pools with Tetramorium? That's neat, I never thought that'd be the case. Do they also fly to black lights?

I'd assume so. I find them mixed in my pool actually for a week or two then the Tetramorium fade off to mostly Pheidole.

• noebl1 likes this

#15 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 21 2017 - 7:37 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I'd assume so. I find them mixed in my pool actually for a week or two then the Tetramorium fade off to mostly Pheidole.

Sweet, I'll look out for them. Do you have any Pheidole colonies that you know of near your pool that these queens could be coming from?

#16 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 21 2017 - 10:01 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Are you sure you're catching Pogonomyrmex badius? I doubt Pogonomyrmex badius could survive this far up.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#17 Offline Kevin - Posted June 21 2017 - 11:55 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Do you have any Pheidole colonies that you know of near your pool that these queens could be coming from?

Nope. The nearest Pheidole colony I've seen is a 15 minute drive from here.

#18 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 21 2017 - 12:00 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Are you sure you're catching Pogonomyrmex badius? I doubt Pogonomyrmex badius could survive this far up.

Seconded.

The rest are easily possible but I'd be surprised if what you've found is indeed Pogonomyrmex badius. The species is already uncommon in it's most northernly range of coastal NC. In any case, pictures would be welcomed to confirm your IDs.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, June 21 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#19 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 23 2017 - 11:40 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Seconded.

The rest are easily possible but I'd be surprised if what you've found is indeed Pogonomyrmex badius. The species is already uncommon in it's most northernly range of coastal NC. In any case, pictures would be welcomed to confirm your IDs.

Thank you for your appreciated concerns but if this isn't Pogonomyrmex, I don't know what is.

USEP1080516_zpstcuxbgbd.jpgUSEP1080519_zpsiisft4yf.jpgUSEP1080514_zpstfe0dtyz.jpgUSEP1080521_zpsnkdygtjp.jpg

• Kevin likes this

#20 Offline Martialis - Posted June 23 2017 - 11:57 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
How long is she? That almost looks like a pheidole major with wings!
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users