• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Colobopsis impressa Journal (Updated 4/16/21)

colobopsis

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 19 2017 - 9:50 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

POPULAR

I've planned on starting a Colobopsis impressa journal if I ever were to get a queen to have larvae. One month ago, Colobopsis impressa flights started happening (and they fly a LOT), so I collected eight queens on the first night. Three of these queens shed their wings, with one queen having just one wing left, so I figured they must be fertile. I released the winged queens. I kept these three queens for a long time in 18mm diameter test tubes. Colobopsis impressa apparently thrive a lot easier in very small tubes (5mm diameter for example) since they nest in hollow twigs in the wild. I didn't have that size tubes for them, so I just put them in 18mm ones just like my other ants.

If you haven't heard of Colobopsis, they are a genus closely related to Camponotus and actually used to be classified as a subgenus of Camponotus. Colobopsis queens and majors use their flat face to close off their nest entrace, similar to how Turtle Ants (Cephalotes) do.

7XEgLPM.jpg

HE6n9j1.jpg

I did not check on these queens often. After around 3 weeks of them doing nothing, I started to think that they would never lay eggs.

A few days ago, on June 15, I checked on these queens to see that one of them (the queen with one wing) had laid four very elongated eggs.

June 15, 2017

The 4th egg in this picture is underneath the queen.

BpA2Amb.jpg

When I checked on her yesterday, I found that she now has one larva! 

June 18, 2017

SDLHUq8.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, April 16 2021 - 3:10 PM.

• nurbs, Ants4fun, ctantkeeper and 8 others like this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 19 2017 - 9:56 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Those are really long eggs!!
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 19 2017 - 8:35 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Those are really long eggs!!

Yeah, I knew Colobopsis impressa laid elongated eggs, but I did not expect for them to be elongated to this extent. They look like noodles!

#4 Offline Leo - Posted June 20 2017 - 1:04 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

coooooooool  all mine died

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 30 2017 - 12:18 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 30, 2017

There are two larvae now. The first one has grown a lot, and I don't think it has much time left until it pupates.

IR1778l.jpg

rnnzHdU.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 1 2018 - 7:14 AM.

• Nathant2131, CheetoLord02 and mantisgal like this

#6 Offline BMM - Posted June 30 2017 - 5:57 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Just caught one these last night. Honestly I think the majors are ugly as sin, but it's still really cool to see such a specialized trait. Any idea how long it takes the majors to arrive? 

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 30 2017 - 8:53 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Just caught one these last night. Honestly I think the majors are ugly as sin, but it's still really cool to see such a specialized trait. Any idea how long it takes the majors to arrive? 

I honestly have no idea. Very few people keep this species so I don't think much is known about keeping them. But hopefully my queen can start a colony so I'll know xD

#8 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 1 2017 - 2:02 PM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
It's nice to know these take so long to produce eggs. I called a few of these around 2 or 3 weeks ago and they've yet to do much of anything. I've seen so many of these around my backlight setup it's crazy. I don't even bother with them because there's so many. I hope to see eggs soon
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#9 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 3 2017 - 9:49 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Yeah these are cool ants Aaron. I have had many myself but was never successful in rearing them. However I did manage to catch one about a week ago so only time will tell. Good luck to you.

Edited by AntswerMe, July 3 2017 - 9:49 PM.

#10 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 13 2017 - 5:20 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 13, 2017

Just checked today, and she has her first pupa! Very exciting.

TV0ojPY.jpg

VIcVokn.jpg

She also has one large larva, one newly hatched larva, and one egg.

Edited by Aaron567, June 1 2018 - 7:16 AM.

• ctantkeeper, Nathant2131, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this

#11 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted July 17 2017 - 4:21 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

I have collected one of these the other day... her wings are off now and she seems content with her housing arrangement... any advise I plan on keeping her unless I get a crazy high offer...I read your journal and will follow it now... Thanks in advance on the advise 

Jamie

EDIT:   I lied mine is a Colobopsis obliqua    but still i am interested in it

Edited by Jamie_Garrison, July 17 2017 - 5:06 AM.

#12 Offline MrWeather - Posted July 17 2017 - 6:29 AM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA
Is it possible that those are alates?
  • Martialis likes this

#13 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 17 2017 - 11:38 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I have collected one of these the other day... her wings are off now and she seems content with her housing arrangement... any advise I plan on keeping her unless I get a crazy high offer...I read your journal and will follow it now... Thanks in advance on the advise 

Jamie

EDIT:   I lied mine is a Colobopsis obliqua    but still i am interested in it

I have caught infertile Colobopsis obliqua before. I think they would be very similar in care with impressa, just a little smaller and less colorful.

The pupa?

Edited by Aaron567, July 17 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#14 Offline MrWeather - Posted July 17 2017 - 2:57 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

The pupa?[/quote]

Yes the pupa

#15 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 30 2017 - 1:16 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 29, 2017

This queen has just gotten her first worker! It is pretty inactive right now but when I feed them some sugar water and once they start getting more workers they will become more active.

xNB0lSZ.jpg

U358aW1.jpg

There are one or two eggs, two larvae, and another pupa. These queens do not lay very many eggs.

July 30, 2017

Here's the worker today, after the exoskeleton has hardened a little. I can't wait for this colony to have more workers! It'll be a while, though.

t1YfQIj.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 1 2018 - 7:17 AM.

• Jonathan21700, Serafine, Nathant2131 and 4 others like this

#16 Offline Samuelp.1 - Posted July 31 2017 - 5:11 PM

Samuelp.1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
¿As the ants follow?

Species i'm Keeping:

Camponotus Floridanus, Camponotus Tortuganus, Brachymyrmex Obscurior, Unidentified species, Tetramorium Bicarinatum, Cyphomyrmex Rimosus,

Dorymyrmex Bureni, Hypoponera Sp, Pheidole navigans, Pheidole megacephala, Solenopsis Invicta, Cardiocondyla Venustula, Cardiocondyla Sp,

Cardiocondyla minutior.

Unidentified species of Termites.

#17 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 1 2017 - 7:16 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Wow, this is so cool. From what I've heard, there aren't very many people skilled in the art of Colobopsis keeping. This is very impressive... or, I guess... "impressa"!

Edited by VoidElecent, August 1 2017 - 7:16 AM.

• Spamdy, YsTheAnt, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#18 Offline Samuelp.1 - Posted August 1 2017 - 8:49 PM

Samuelp.1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I do not know if it is too much to ask that you upload photos of the ants, is that I love that species and I would like to see yours.
I do not know if it is too much to ask that you upload photos of the ants, is that I love that species and I would like to see yours.

Species i'm Keeping:

Camponotus Floridanus, Camponotus Tortuganus, Brachymyrmex Obscurior, Unidentified species, Tetramorium Bicarinatum, Cyphomyrmex Rimosus,

Dorymyrmex Bureni, Hypoponera Sp, Pheidole navigans, Pheidole megacephala, Solenopsis Invicta, Cardiocondyla Venustula, Cardiocondyla Sp,

Cardiocondyla minutior.

Unidentified species of Termites.

#19 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 2 2017 - 5:59 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I do not know what you are trying to say, he has 11 pictures on one page, he has already uploaded photos, try scrolling up.

I do not know what you are trying to say, he has 11 pictures on one page, he has already uploaded photos, try scrolling up.

• VoidElecent and TheRealAntMan like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#20 Offline BMM - Posted August 2 2017 - 8:51 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Sadly my queen hasn't laid any eggs after about a month, so I'm assuming she's infertile. I hope your colony continues to grow. This will be a really cool species to see develop. Something cool I read somewhere is that you can put a cork in the entrance of their formicarium, the majors will chew out a hole just the right size to block with their flat heads.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colobopsis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users