• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Colobopsis impressa Journal (Updated 4/16/21)

colobopsis

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 16 2018 - 12:05 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Ok, thanks. I have seen mostly Crematogaster and Ponera in hollow twigs.

Ponera? I think you're thinking of Pseudomyrmex ejectus as Ponera is a ground dwelling genera.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#62 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 16 2018 - 5:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
No, I mean Ponera.

#63 Offline Canadian anter - Posted December 17 2018 - 3:01 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I believed Ponera was a purely terrestrial species?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#64 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 17 2018 - 6:42 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Nope. Not where I live. I find them under rocks and in logs with termites in them.

#65 Offline LIFEsize - Posted March 6 2019 - 3:08 PM

LIFEsize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Sadly my queen hasn't laid any eggs after about a month, so I'm assuming she's infertile. I hope your colony continues to grow. This will be a really cool species to see develop. Something cool I read somewhere is that you can put a cork in the entrance of their formicarium, the majors will chew out a hole just the right size to block with their flat heads.

i have been sitting on a tube with two of these for 8 months. One has wings and one shed them when I first got her, however, nothing has happened and I have tried heating them around 80 degrees F and still nothing. I’m going to seperate them into seperate tubes and see if it’s because they’re together. I don’t know if these are mono or poly, but if anyone knows then please inform me.

#66 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 11:21 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Sadly my queen hasn't laid any eggs after about a month, so I'm assuming she's infertile. I hope your colony continues to grow. This will be a really cool species to see develop. Something cool I read somewhere is that you can put a cork in the entrance of their formicarium, the majors will chew out a hole just the right size to block with their flat heads.

i have been sitting on a tube with two of these for 8 months. One has wings and one shed them when I first got her, however, nothing has happened and I have tried heating them around 80 degrees F and still nothing. I’m going to seperate them into seperate tubes and see if it’s because they’re together. I don’t know if these are mono or poly, but if anyone knows then please inform me.

I once found a colony of Colobopsis impressa with 2 queens, so I'd say polygynous.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#67 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 29 2019 - 2:22 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nope. Not where I live. I find them under rocks and in logs with termites in them.

yes, but that's still terrestrial. Are the twigs on the ground?

#68 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2019 - 3:02 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I found out those were Brachyponera.
  • VoidElecent likes this

#69 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 3:56 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I found out those were Brachyponera.

Ahh, that makes more sense.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#70 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 18 2019 - 7:26 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Update?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#71 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 20 2019 - 2:43 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

May 20, 2019

Colobopsis impressa flights have been kicking off all over Florida in the past couple weeks, and my part of the state is usually last to get flights of most species relative to the rest of the state. It's been very dry lately and has not rained in over a week, so I had a feeling that I was going to get the first Colobopsis flights as soon as the humidity became a little higher.

Last night, the temperature and humidity was more favorable than it had been for a several days, and the first Colobopsis flights happened. There were queens all over the place but I decided to only collect 10 of them because I don't need so many and they'll be flying for a little while anyway. As an experiment, I have two pairs of queens that will be combined.

b4Kb18R.jpg

Out of the 10 queens, one of them is prettier than the rest, and she is the one that happened to shed her wings right after I test tubed her. I've never had a Colobopsis queen shed her wings that fast.

qNODmdK.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 20 2019 - 2:44 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#72 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 20 2019 - 3:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
When will these fly in Middle Tennessee?

#73 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 15 2019 - 3:30 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 15, 2019

The wingless queen has her first pupa, and so does nearly every other C. impressa queen I have now. The two-queen pairs are looking great and I'm looking forward to see if they remain a double queen colony even after nanitics.

gpvkuqk.jpg

• Acutus likes this

#74 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 6:44 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Any tips for this species? I just found a beautiful one of these queens.

#75 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 25 2019 - 10:40 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 25, 2019

One of the pairs got their first nanitic and have a nice-looking group of brood, and three individual queens have gotten their nanitics too. I've had to give most of the queens extra sugar water before their nanitics hatched because by the time they have pupae they're deathly skinny. I wonder if this is just natural selection and if they would've died if they were in the wild right now from running too low on food stores. Their low success rate could be why they have such enormous nuptial flights.

Bx1SdHb.jpg

ZKE46D9.jpg

flQFEbA.jpg

HOv40wV.jpg

Ai7lvtk.jpg

b46RxWo.jpg

• mantisgal likes this

#76 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 12:08 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My queen has shed her wings. How long until nanitics?

#77 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 17 2019 - 5:23 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Update?

#78 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 2 2020 - 2:41 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 2, 2020

Colobopsis impressa has been flying here for the last several weeks, starting in May and finally wrapping up right around now. A few weeks ago I collected more than a dozen of them, most of which were dealates when I collected them. I mostly ignored winged queens at my blacklight, which make up most of the ones I see.

This year I want to put in a lot more effort to raise a very successful colony of Colobopsis impressa while using normal 18mm test tubes. I was able to get a colony to majors with little effort, so it shouldn't be overly difficult to grow them to a larger size when there are multiple queens in a colony.

Here is one of several 3-queen groups I am currently keeping. They've all been getting nanitics recently and are looking good.

cT6m9cl.jpg

LcpjwkE.jpg

• FeedTheAnts, VenomousBeast, CatsnAnts and 3 others like this

#79 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 2 2020 - 4:17 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
This species is adorable, there’s just something about their flat faces that make them cute.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 2 2020 - 4:18 PM.

Spoiler

#80 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 2 2020 - 5:01 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

What time of night do they fly?? I have a blacklight setup with no results yet, but just wondering when I'll get them!

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colobopsis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users