• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Drying out wet ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Senbonzakura - Posted June 18 2017 - 10:07 PM

Senbonzakura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

So I have found a lot of tetramorium ants in my pool, but most of the time they don't look too well as if they are on their way to die. What i have been doing is setting the ants in a test tube with a q tip so that they have something to hold onto and pull the water off them so they can dry out then I put them in a proper test tube setup. I have noticed the ants still seem weak and appear to have trouble moving. Pretty much the complete opposite of my camponotus queens that appear to be full of life when i check on them. I have caught 6 tetramorium ants in my pool and no doubt I could get many more but one of them has already died. Is there a more appropriate way to dry out ants found in water? Thanks in advance.

#2 Offline Antking117 - Posted June 18 2017 - 10:32 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Nah, i just put them in a test tube setup like regular, they usually cling onto the cotton for the first day and by the next day are active with wings removed.

• noebl1 and FeedTheAnts like this

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2017 - 4:08 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Nah, i just put them in a test tube setup like regular, they usually cling onto the cotton for the first day and by the next day are active with wings removed.

This was my experience with them as well.  A coworker grabbed a dozen from his pool last summer for me, put them into a ziplock bag with water in it from the pool, sealed it, and then finally saw him 11 hours later.  100% survival rate on those queens months later.  Ended up giving a bunch away they were doing so well.

• ctantkeeper, Evanthomas89, FeedTheAnts and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted June 29 2017 - 4:00 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

This was my experience with them as well.  A coworker grabbed a dozen from his pool last summer for me, put them into a ziplock bag with water in it from the pool, sealed it, and then finally saw him 11 hours later.  100% survival rate on those queens months later.  Ended up giving a bunch away they were doing so well.

WOW! I'll definitely be checking the pool filter at my aunt and uncle's when I visit this weekend! 

Check out my Youtube

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 29 2017 - 5:02 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Pools are where I find ALL of my queens! So I hope there isn't a problem with it! :D

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users