• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Veromessor andrei Journal [235] (Updated 11-20-2023)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Acutus - Posted June 13 2019 - 7:02 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

WOW! and look at that trash pile!! :D So Veromessor like seeds? We don't have any of this Genus in MD.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#42 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted June 13 2019 - 8:07 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Cool! I just caught a V. Andrei Queen last night.

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 9 2019 - 1:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-9-2019

This colony is just getting bigger and bigger. I estimate about 1000 workers now. I recently moved them into the same vertical prototype formicarium I had my V. pergandei colony of 3000 in before, but I will have to move them into something larger very soon.

gallery_2_853_286620.jpg

gallery_2_853_312579.jpg

gallery_2_853_1216505.jpg

These workers on average are a lot larger than V. pergandei workers because they don't have lots of small workers along with some much larger ones like V. pergandei do, instead they are all fairly large. Because of this, they are really filling up the formicarium fast. I'm not sure what I'm going to move them into, because I don't have anything larger than these prototype formicariums right now, except for dirt nests, which I will not put them in because of how much they dig; they would basically keep digging until all the dirt is gone.

• TennesseeAnts, Boog, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

#44 Offline antwatcher606 - Posted November 16 2019 - 12:06 AM

antwatcher606

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

What seeds do you feed your V. andrei Drew? 

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 16 2019 - 12:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What seeds do you feed your V. andrei Drew? 

The ones in the mix that I sell here (https://www.formicul...eping-products/).

Kentucky Bluegrass Seed, Nyjer Seed, Amaranth Seed, Millet Seed, Red Quinoa Seed, Chia Seed, Poppy Seed, Alfalfa Seed, Clover Seed, Celery Seed, Wildflower Seed, White Quinoa Seed, Black Quinoa Seed, Other Grass Seed

#46 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-11-2020

The colony is now up to somewhere around 1700 workers, and was completely overwhelming the formicarium it was in. I don't have anything larger than my vertical prototype formicariums, so I had to come up with something. I decided to take all of the vacant fungus-grower formicarium chambers I had and put them together to form a much larger nest.

gallery_2_853_863954.jpg

These first three chambers are the only ones I am actually hydrating.

gallery_2_853_1028765.jpg

Two of these old failed large starter formicarium prototypes will be used for the foraging area. I guess the nest portions in them will make nice seed trays.

gallery_2_853_149266.jpg

I put the current formicarium in a Fluon-coated tub and opened the lid.

gallery_2_853_1042907.jpg

This is after pulling the foraging container off. You can see how quickly they started grabbing the brood and moving it under the tray that the water tank sits in.

gallery_2_853_994448.jpg

There were too many ants to try to pick the nest up to brush them off. That's normally what I would do while a number of them crawl on my hands and bite me, but with this many, they would have been all over me. Instead I just used my homemade power aspirator/mini shop vacuum to suck up as many as I could first.

gallery_2_853_92900.jpg

Here they are in their new home for now. This should make managing them much easier until I make a large permanent formicarium for them.

gallery_2_853_80291.jpg

gallery_2_853_1593966.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Boog like this

#47 Offline FSTP - Posted January 11 2020 - 8:33 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Now your ants live in an apartment inside of an apartment.

• Boog likes this

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 14 2020 - 6:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-14-2020

This colony is growing out of control. At this point I would estimate about 5000 workers. I have looked the formicarium over very thoroughly for any week points. If these things got loose, it would be a mess!

gallery_2_853_2171914.jpg

gallery_2_853_263296.jpg

I actually found the queen. :)

gallery_2_853_617131.jpg

gallery_2_853_172088.jpg

Just like the V. pergandei, these guys don't waste any seeds. Look how huge that trash pile is, and it's almost nothing but seed husks. It actually looks just like what you see piled all around their nest entrances in the wild.

gallery_2_853_209993.jpg

• AntsBC and ANTdrew like this

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 15 2020 - 2:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Amazing!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#50 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 15 2020 - 3:13 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

They are all over the place!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#51 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 15 2020 - 7:34 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

that's crazy dude, I wish we had these in ohio, also are these polygene? you should test it out lol which would be awesome

#52 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 7:55 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

that's crazy dude, I wish we had these in ohio, also are these polygene? you should test it out lol which would be awesome

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colonies can get several times larger than this, even though they're not polygynous.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#53 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2020 - 9:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-16-2020

The colony is still massive, and going through crazy amounts of seeds.

You can see the giant pile of seed husks here, piled all the way to the top of the container.

gallery_2_853_207457.jpg

I set them up with a whole variety of new food.

gallery_2_853_308955.jpg

gallery_2_853_170131.jpg

Apparently they can make their own resin.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#54 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 16 2020 - 10:51 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Oh!! I recognize that bird treat. I was debating offering my ants leftover Avi-cakes from my deceased pet. Let us know how that goes!

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#55 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 19 2020 - 6:18 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Oh, and those pale white trails on the walls - are those possibly related to the resin? I believe I've seen them with V. pergandei and I thought it was from ants crawling over wet Fluon and tracking it around, but now I kind of wonder.

And finally, an electric aspirator is exactly what I've been pondering lately. What vacuum did you use? I was thinking of a compact keyboard vacuum.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, July 19 2020 - 6:18 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#56 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 19 2020 - 2:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-19-2020

About a month ago, I realized I had completely forgotten to fill the water tank on this colony's formicarium. The majority of the colony died, leaving behind just a couple hundred workers, and the queen thankfully.

gallery_2_853_1868045.jpg

gallery_2_853_1817732.jpg

The colony is growing again and making lots of new brood, so it looks like they are recovering.

• Devi likes this

#57 Offline Devi - Posted September 19 2020 - 2:52 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Update 9-19-2020

About a month ago, I realized I had completely forgotten to fill the water tank on this colony's formicarium. The majority of the colony died, leaving behind just a couple hundred workers, and the queen thankfully.

gallery_2_853_1868045.jpg

gallery_2_853_1817732.jpg

The colony is growing again and making lots of new brood, so it looks like they are recovering.

Oh no!  I hope they recover well.  Looking back at this journal, they look pretty resilent.  Wishing you the best. :)

#58 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 22 2023 - 12:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-20-2021

After I almost killed the entire colony on accident, they have made a full recovery, and are growing like crazy again.

Here you can see the remains of a dead gecko I gave them. They ate every last bit of flesh on it and there is nothing left but bones.

gallery_2_853_240422.jpg

Their foraging containers are getting very full of trash and seed husks. In the wild they usually have a large amount of this stuff all around their nest entrances, making them very easy to recognize.

gallery_2_853_1178628.jpg

• 100lols likes this

#59 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 22 2023 - 12:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-25-2023

The colony has been growing like crazy and is now up to probably a few thousand workers. I moved it out of my ant room and into the cooler part of my apartment since these don't live in the desert and are probably used to a little cooler temperatures.

gallery_2_853_1047534.jpg

gallery_2_853_1342282.jpg

The foraging containers are almost completely full now and really need to be cleaned out.

I pulled them off and put them in a Fluon-coated tub.

gallery_2_853_824430.jpg

You can see some bones of a few other dead reptiles I gave them. They actually managed to drag them all the way into the foraging container to put in the trash pile.

gallery_2_853_1032997.jpg

Once I removed all the live workers, I was able to dump them out. Look at the amount of seed husks these guys discarded! This is pretty much the amount I usually see around mature nests in the wild. Needless to say, they're burning through my seed mix at a crazy rate.

gallery_2_853_671626.jpg

Again, they left behind all this thick resin like substance, which I'm pretty sure if just ant poop. 

gallery_2_853_1335822.jpg

Here's a thick chunk of it. That's a lot of ant crap! Luckily it dissolves pretty quickly in water.

gallery_2_853_205996.jpg

While I was cleaning out the foraging containers, I noticed one of the workers got loose and was being attacked by a tiny little spider. It looked like the spider was getting the upper hand and wrapping it up pretty good, but in the end the ant finally broke free and got away.

• 100lols likes this

#60 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 22 2023 - 1:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-11-2023

The colony continues to grow and is up to around 4000 workers now.

gallery_2_853_67627.jpg

They love amaranth and always seem to store the vast majority of it in this one particular chamber. Maybe the humidity is just right for it there? I don't know.

gallery_2_853_1277444.jpg

You can see how much trash they have already deposited in the foraging container in the last three months.

gallery_2_853_499077.jpg

• 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users