• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

UPDATED: Dirt Box Starter Formicarium v1.0 (7 mm, for Medium-Size Ants)

49 replies to this topic

#41 Online T.C. - Posted November 28 2017 - 11:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

I pulled the vermiculture out of one of mine. I had a few ants go into the hydration spot and die which I believed to be causing mold issues. Would filling it with cotton be fine?

How were they getting inside it? You should contact Drew via PM or chat with him.

I had took the lid off. They started spilling into the hydration tube as soon as I did that.

"Better, is a never ending quest."

Peak Forums | Insect Boards | Formiculture

Projects | Ant Journals | Other Bugs

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I pulled the vermiculture out of one of mine. I had a few ants go into the hydration spot and die which I believed to be causing mold issues. Would filling it with cotton be fine?

How were they getting inside it? You should contact Drew via PM or chat with him.

I had took the lid off. They started spilling into the hydration tube as soon as I did that.

You had mold issues inside the inner hydration container? How many ants went in it?

#43 Online T.C. - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:41 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

You had mold issues inside the inner hydration container? How many ants went in it?

I don't know that there was mold in it, however about five ants did. Maybe a few more. I forgot to oil up the tubes when I was doing the sides. I was taking the lid off for feeding and cleaning. The species was formica so they where real quick.

#44 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't know that there was mold in it, however about five ants did. Maybe a few more. I forgot to oil up the tubes when I was doing the sides. I was taking the lid off for feeding and cleaning. The species was formica so they where real quick.

In a situation like that, I would get something to put in the tubes while the lid is off. I would imagine two nails would work great.

#45 Online T.C. - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:58 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
Oh, I learnt from that mistake. A little bit of vegetable/olive oil works great as a temporary barrier. They can't get up the tubes.

Edit: I also learnt there is a water amount limit. :P

Edited by T.C., November 28 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#46 Online YsTheAnt - Posted November 30 2017 - 6:40 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Are the large versions of the one on Amazon available?

#47 Offline Ant_Dude2908 - Posted November 30 2017 - 7:28 PM

Ant_Dude2908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationWA
Would Camponotus Noveaboricensis be able to live in these? :thinking:

#48 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 30 2017 - 9:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Not at the time of this writing. They will be available on Amazon in the future.

Since this is a species that typically nests in wood, I would recommend only experienced antkeepers attempt this.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 30 2017 - 9:15 PM.

#49 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2017 - 4:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would not try to house a wood-nesting species in a dirt nest.

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2017 - 4:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Until they are, you can purchase it directly from me if you want. I just haven't really listed my formicariums on the forum yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users