• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone culture fruit flies?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 16 2014 - 9:24 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

What's the difference between the two (other than the obvious)?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#22 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 16 2014 - 9:25 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Sadly, my Drosophila hydei culture was almost completely wiped out today, I have only ~10 flies left! I moved them to a new culture and they seem to be mating though, so maybe I can get it working again, which I hope because these are the ones I use the most often!

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 16 2014 - 9:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Drosophila melanogaster are smaller and come in a variation without wings- perfect for smaller ants/ colonies.

Drosophila hydei come with wings, and some adults even have a mutated gene of even being able to glide, but my larger ants/ colonies love them.

Of what I have seen, about 10% of the adults have the ability to glide, and even jump a few inches off the ground with a boost from wings. As the generations keep coming, weirdly this seems like a recessive trait.

I guess I have both because I figured "why not". :D

Edited by Gregory2455, October 16 2014 - 9:29 PM.

#24 Offline dermy - Posted October 17 2014 - 10:11 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have gotten a fruit fly culture going from 4 flies greg, 10 should be good. They breed quite quickly.

#25 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 17 2014 - 10:40 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I know, but I do not know what was killing them out in the first place, so I don't know if it will kill these too. I moved them out of their old culture as I may have mentioned earlier, so hopefully the problem will not have followed them.

#26 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 17 2014 - 10:54 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

How do you keep your cultures going? They grow way faster than I can use them and I don't want too many sitting in the freezer. For my next batch, I am thinking of only keeping 10-50 or so flies. That way it will be a few weeks before they enlarge to a full culture again. Has anyone tried that?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#27 Offline dermy - Posted October 17 2014 - 11:16 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have, they start out slower, but once the first batch is flies they explode again.

#28 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 17 2014 - 12:42 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

how to culture them, but first off, how to catch them.

Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#29 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 17 2014 - 1:18 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I bought both of my cultures.

#30 Offline anttics - Posted February 16 2018 - 1:01 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I found the holy grail medium for fruit flies. its one ingridient base. its called kifer it's used to make yogurt. it's anti bacterial. anti fongus. Anti mold. it's acid kills most mites.
this is how I do it. put milk on it. let it convert it to yogurt. them wait a bit more until it becomes a paste like liquid.
the kifer will grow too. filter the yogurt. and use the kifer it self. with small amount of thick yogurt you just filter. put sugar or protein powder and whoala. it can be used for months. since it does not decompose or mold.

#31 Offline Dmitry_serg - Posted February 17 2018 - 5:27 AM

Dmitry_serg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

in Russia, the keepers kept a colony of the beetle witch doctor it's good for ants and my parents eating beeeeehqdefault.jpg

#32 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 17 2018 - 4:39 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

I once got a fruit fly culture from petco, it did pretty well at first but sometimes I have very shaky hands so was hard to collect some when I needed them, it also stank alot. Sadly I left them in an air conditioned room and they all died within a few minutes. I have never been any good with keeping a culture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users