• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reverse Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted October 10 2014 - 11:33 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I want to test out Reverse-Hibernation, which is where you hibernate a colony in the summer months and keep them awake in the winter. What are your thoughts on this? I will be trying it with a Myrmica colony this year and maybe something else next year.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted October 10 2014 - 12:54 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I do it with a Camponotus and a Formica colony. Most of my free time is in winter when there is snow on the ground, so it is much easier on my schedule.

Keep in mind that I have to heat any colonies not in hibernation due to cooler room temperatures.

The colonies seems fine with reverse hibernation.

The Camponotus herculeanus actually did it to themselves, which surprised me, since they are the one species that insists on a long hibernation.  I gave them 3 months of hibernation and took them out, but didn't add any additional heat because my heat cable broke (they figured 3 months of hibernation wasn't enough).  At 18C the colony ate well, but the queen did not lay eggs and larvae did not develop - just like in a mild hibernation. 

Once I got a new heat cable the queen decided it was spring and started laying eggs - this was about 5 months later, by which time most of my other ants were going back into hibernation.  This colony is just starting its spring cycle, with the queen laying eggs and the larvae pupating.  I will make sure I give them an appropriately long hibernation when the time comes to keep them in this cycle.

The Formica ulkei queen had been heated the whole time, but also decided that 3 months was not enough.  She only recently start laying eggs.

Oddly enough, both colonies started their spring cycle at the same time, so I am not sure what triggered them.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:40 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

i havent found a hibernating species in the desert, but i think it would be a cool idea to hibernate them all summer.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:55 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is because there are no desert species that hibernate. The closest desert ant that I can think of that does something like hibernating, is Myrmecocystus, which after a long period of drought, as the repletes start to become empty, more and more workers will go into a period of dormancy. Obviously other ants slow down in a drought, but they do not go into a dormancy.

#5 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:57 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I actually didn't know that about myrmecocystus. and also dermy what type of myrmica ?

#6 Offline Anhzor - Posted October 12 2014 - 4:54 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Hibernation is regulated by an internal clock, they will hibernate regardless of the surrounding temperature.  But species that can hibernate can be put into dormancy any time.

#7 Offline dermy - Posted October 13 2014 - 11:59 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have no clue as to what species of Myrmica.

My room is a toasty 24C in the winter [all the heat gets pumped into my room so it's like a broiler in there!]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users