• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

6-5-17, McDonald, Ohio

Best Answer Batspiderfish , June 5 2017 - 8:42 PM

Lasius umbratus. She has no sting; that is an acidopore.

http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hikari - Posted June 5 2017 - 7:08 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

1. Location of collection: In flowerpot on my porch, McDonald, OH (in the NE part of the state)

2. Date of collection: 6-5-17
3. Habitat of collection: Organic potting soil in flower pot. Porch has lots of trees and shrubs nearby, with small wooded areas further out.

4. Length: Aprox. 7mm. Was having to try measuring her while she was running around a tube.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Head and body are a brownish-orange on top, changing to a dull orange color on the underside. Gaster is dark brown/black. Whole ant is shiny. No noticeable hair.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: One petiole node. Appears to have a gaster stinger. She's too small for me to make out anything else of note.
7. Anything else distinctive: Very fast and constantly running if she gets out of her tube. Looks like she could sting, but hasn't. In tube, she prefers to relax on the wet cotton on her water side (she actually hasn't left it since settling in), so good chance she prefers higher humidity. The potting soil she was in was also quite moist.
8. Nest description: Nothing much to speak of. As far as I know, she was all alone in the dirt. I looked for eggs/brood/workers in the bit of dirt I pulled her out in, but didn't spot anything.

Pics (she was small so this was the best I could do):

VaGEp4p.jpg

YD205gs.jpg

PZJSPsD.jpg

t541rzD.jpg

1YgItwf.jpg

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 5 2017 - 8:42 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 5 2017 - 8:42 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Antking117 - Posted June 5 2017 - 10:14 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

better than what i could do.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 6 2017 - 9:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Wow, even this girl isn't shiny enough to be L. speculiventris?

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 6 2017 - 10:07 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Wow, even this girl isn't shiny enough to be L. speculiventris?

As long as the first gastral tergite is equally shiny as the others, then no. Past the first tergite, L.speculiventris would not have that matte look caused by fine pubescence.

Again, most of the images online (including antwiki) featuring Lasius speculiventris queens are actually Lasius umbratus.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 6 2017 - 10:31 AM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline Hikari - Posted June 6 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Thanks for the ID! (Also the info on the acidopore). I'd love to give raising her a go if I can find her the right host ants. I did some wiki'ing and found that her species likes to take L. Niger. Problem is, I still really suck at IDing ants. I couldn't get much out of looking them up besides "small brownish or black ants with one petiole", so I went out back, captured what I thought looked the closest to the pics I Googled, and hope one of them is the right thing.

Apologizes in the quality. My poor phone is at it's limit with these tiny gals.

Here's the first set. They were in the colony I evicted from my flowerpots yesterday (and are already repairing the damage I did where I deposited their dirt pile), and were all over the place on my porch before I cleaned things up. They are 3mm long, black-ish brown, one petiole, and shiny (if they have any hair on them, it's too fine for me to see even with my magnifying glass):

lRk0jYH.jpg

LJwQFEw.jpg

DJiX2ws.jpg

gStDfFl.jpg

Vjtpz65.jpg

Now this girl's colony resides in a rotten tree branch (her colony actually is close neighbors with a Camponotus colony, yet they don't seem to mind each other being so close). She's 5mm long, has a petiole that looks like a spike, solid black, and shiny. Underthe magnifying glass, I can make out tiny light-colored hairs on her gaster in the lines separating the sections.

oAvMDtk.jpg

ypNd1SD.jpg

dR1HVZD.jpg

iYjNIE9.jpg

FpKm9u4.jpg

JmgoudB.jpg

There was a third set of ants I picked up as well, but as soon as I saw they had two petiole nodes, I eliminated them from the possibilities. Anyways, if either of these are at least Lasius (if not L.Niger), I might still be able to try introducing them to my queen. If not, I'll probably just release her since I probably won't be able to find her a proper host.

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 6 2017 - 7:07 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
she's ok with camponotus because she IS Camponotus
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 6 2017 - 7:55 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius alienus is probably the favorite host species of Lasius umbratus, but in my experience, I don't think this social parasite is very picky. The colony I am starting right now was set up with flavus-group workers.

Your worker sample from the first set of photographs is a Lasius species, probably L. neoniger or L. pallitarsis. These should work out fine.

The other worker looks like Camponotus pennsylvanicus.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 6 2017 - 7:57 PM.

----

#9 Offline Hikari - Posted June 6 2017 - 8:32 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

she's ok with camponotus because she IS Camponotus

Really?! I mean, I knew they had polymorphism, but dang! I didn't think it was that extensive, lol. The group that ant was from was literally only half the size of the other group. I guess I'll keep an eye on that colony out of curiosity from here out.

Lasius alienus is probably the favorite host species of Lasius umbratus, but in my experience, I don't think this social parasite is very picky. The colony I am starting right now was set up with flavus-group workers.

Your worker sample from the first set of photographs is a Lasius species, probably L. neoniger or L. pallitarsis. These should work out fine.

Oh, sweet! Thanks for the ID, you're a lifesaver! Glad I managed to track down at least something in the right family. Probably L. neoniger since it looks like L. pallitarsis is a mostly western species. Either way, I'll go collect up some workers for her first thing in the morning then. Man, this would have been so much easier if I hadn't dumped that flowerpot already, lol. Luckily they seemed content to rebuild where I put them, they were making new anthills and such, so they'll hopefully still be around tomorrow (I released the workers I'd collected in case they weren't the right ones). Glad I thought ahead and bought the things I'd need to get them all situated at least. They'll have to nest in the tube for now, but they'll have a small outworld at least.

Fingers crossed this works out!

Edited by Hikari, June 6 2017 - 9:06 PM.

#10 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 7 2017 - 10:46 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I don't think it's C. pennsylvanicus. The head doesn't look right. Also, pennsylvanicus looks a lot more lanky and I believe their thorox is a bit smaller in relation to their head.

#11 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 7 2017 - 10:48 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
C. nearcticus?

#12 Offline Hikari - Posted June 7 2017 - 10:56 AM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Hmmm...maybe? Either way, the main mystery of the Lasius queen is solved, so I'm marking this thread as such. I'll worry about the mystery of the Camponotus another day. At the very least, it does amuse me how close two different species can live without bothering to kill each other. Granted, Camponotus do seem to be pretty chill in general. I love them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users