• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis invicta mono/polygynous variation observations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cobratank - Posted June 3 2017 - 6:07 PM

cobratank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Invicta has been flying in Atlanta, Georgia this week over the last few days. I have caught many queens. I had made observations on their size and location of catch. I have been finding them near my golf course and near a relatives neighborhood (she let me drive over there to look!). I know there are variations of invicta in terms of their state of polygyny (gaster size).

Near the golf course (right next to my house) I caught about 4-5 queens yesterday. The majority of them have narrow gasters (polugynous feature). Near my relative’s house, I found one queen every day for three days. The ones I found near the relative's house has a less narrow gaster, but a much fatter gaster (like a balloon). Then I found one near my house that has a balloon gaster.

So here is what I think is interesting, the queens I find near my house are of the polygynous variety. When I found them near my house, it was all on one day (except for one infertile one I found two weeks ago). The ones I found near my relatives house (which is only like 2 miles away in a very similar suburban environment) are of the monogynous variety. The only exception is today where I found one monogynous queen near my house. Pretty interesting how invicta variations can differ by only a couple of miles !

My theory relates to the distribution of the ants. Near my house (poly), the majority of the ants have a clumped distribution in the golf course, since people are actively using ant killers near their homes. The relative's community (mono) is less active in ant killing and has a random distribution. I see huge ant beds (3 yards! ) near and in the golf course, and I see a bunch of smaller ant hills distributed randomly in the relative's neighborhood. I think the long-term (5 years) distribution of ant colonies leads to the variation of the queen.

Edited by cobratank, June 3 2017 - 7:02 PM.

#2 Offline Saltynuts - Posted June 13 2017 - 9:52 AM

Saltynuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Interesting cobratank!  So is it almost always the case that the ones with narrow gasters are polygynous variety, and the ones with fat gasters are mongyn?  

#3 Offline cobratank - Posted June 16 2017 - 3:05 PM

cobratank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I don't think it is always the case. However that is what I heard. I have noticed narrow gasters near my house and fat gasters in my relative's area. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users