• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Testing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted October 9 2014 - 6:40 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

SO the first test was to see if californicus from the wild ate more then the ones in testubes. To conduct this i took 20 specimens from about 16 colonies. I first offered them Fruit flies, then Honey, Then sugar water. The wild californicus's denied the fruit flies, but willing took the honey and sugar water. the ones in test tubes ate fruit flies, No honey at all, and rarely (very rarely) sugar water.

The next test was only with the wild ones. How do pogonomyrmex colonies live so close to each other, without any type of warfare going on? I put five workers from a foreign colony into another colony. They immediately started dragging them out, without stinging or injuring. Once far enough they released them, Almost like they were directing them to the location they need to go in. No aggression  was shown at all in this experiment!

The final test of this week was finding out how great their architecture was. With the specimens i got from the wild i put them in a box(very scientific) with dirt. They didn't begin to dig until i wet one area.They then dug into that spot. Within two days they had three openings to the hole, and were still working on it. During this process they were fed sugar water, and were offered regular water. Over a period of time i noticed that the dirt they took out of the ground while excavating was going upward to the top of the box, and i found that one had escaped.  Keep in mind the box wasn't as big as you probably thought. Ill continue to update this ~

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 9 2014 - 6:45 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I like the second one. :) Your first one is inaccurate, because as far as I know, you have Bicolor ones in the test tube, and there are only Concolorous ones around here, and I as well am actually doing the third one- with just about every species I have, for my formicarium project which I will be posting about soon. :)

#3 Offline Alza - Posted October 9 2014 - 7:01 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

by all means, post it :) i would like to see if we get the same results

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 9 2014 - 7:05 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am just buying a ton of agar gel, and then casting it to get the shape. 

#5 Offline Alza - Posted October 9 2014 - 7:07 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

nice idea. 

#6 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:23 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

my mind is totally failing me today, and i have no new experiment. Ill continue to think of some 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users