• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with Pseudomyrmex gracilis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 27 2017 - 2:29 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

I caught a Pseudomyrmex gracilis dealate on 5/11/17 and have had mixed luck with her. She is one of my favorite queens because she is very relaxed and will crawl up onto my finger and explore my arm any time I open her test tube setup. I started her in a test tube setup with a piece of wax paper and a few small drops of honey. She enjoyed the honey. I also added two small dead worker ants of differing sizes, which she ignored. After continuing giving her honey, I eventually opened her test tube and put it in a large salsa jar. From there, I put the wax paper with honey outside of the test tube. She explored the salsafor a short while. After that, she started hiding under the tube, but would not touch the honey or return to her tube.

I now have her back in her tube. I tried giving her a tiny, live ant, but it seemed to frighten her as she would back away from it any time it approached. I crushed the ant, so she now has honey and a very small mostly dead ant (still no eggs noted). I am wondering what to do. Should I put her tube inside a bigger outworld and offer more prey items? I do have an Atom C that I could try. (I have had great luck with the test tube setups on other ants so far and have not used it.) I really like this girl and want her to lay some eggs! Below are some pictures of her for your enjoyment.

IMG 3194
IMG 3188

#2 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 27 2017 - 2:31 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

And yes, I know she is missing a leg! She was like that when I found her.

#3 Offline Ants Galore - Posted June 13 2017 - 8:47 AM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I am having the same problem. I'm not sure either though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users