• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DIY Test Tube Rack

test tube founding rack diy queens alates dealates wood

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 27 2017 - 2:19 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Hey all! I wanted to show a simple rack that I made out of a piece of scrap wood I had lying around. I drilled 5/16" holes spaced ~1.5" apart in three rows for a total of 48 holes. When putting my queens in, I slide the tube far enough so that the living quarters are inside the wood block so they can get some privacy.

What to you all think?

DIY Test Tube Rack
DIY Test Tube Rack with Queens

• drtrmiller, noebl1, Kevin and 5 others like this

#2 Offline Hayashi - Posted May 27 2017 - 3:21 PM

Hayashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVista, California
I think this is really great! Maybe I'll make one this weekend. I don't have access to a drill press, so I'll have to be careful to hold my drill at 90 degrees. Otherwise, I think it would start to look messy having all the test tubes sticking out at slightly different angles.

#3 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 27 2017 - 6:52 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
I used a hand-held drill for this. Definitely not perfect, but it was only a scrap piece of wood. Not exactly high quality craftsmanship!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: test, tube, founding, rack, diy, queens, alates, dealates, wood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users