• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tapinoma sessile help. Please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 27 2017 - 10:57 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan
Hey guys. I could use some help. 3 days ago I had an incident with one of my larger Tapinoma sessile colonies. I woke up and found roughly 600 workers missing. I spent about a half hour before work collecting what I could, but it didn't get me far. Well, today I noticed this. Same thing in one of my roach bins. My community has a large amount of insects in it, so it's going to be rough getting them out.

Other option would be to allow them to stay. Antwiki and other sites say they eat fruits, veggies, and dead insects. So they won't attack my insects? If this is the case, I may allow them to stay.

Any thoughts?

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted May 27 2017 - 11:41 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

From my experience, T. sessile is not an aggressive species. I don't think they will directly hurt your other insects, but may compete for food and resources.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 27 2017 - 11:59 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Like Martialis said, Tapinoma sessile aren't really aggressive. They never ate live insects when I gave them live food (when I had a colony many years ago), and instead ran away from the live food and hid. They might eat the eggs/babies/young of the other insects if you are breeding the other insects though, that be only thing I'd worry about with Tapinoma sessile. Other than that, they are rather timid and would rather run away than fight. For example, when a colony where I used to live, numbered in the millions and could have easily taken over the Argentine ants in my old complex, they instead were wimps and let themselves be killed or/and ran off.

Which could be the other problem too actually, if they get so many workers. They can get pretty big colonies.

Edited by Vendayn, May 27 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 27 2017 - 1:27 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

http://mississippien...tm#.WSnuOGjys2w

"they also feed on both live and dead insects"

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 27 2017 - 2:48 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan
In gonna have to weigh out my options and see what works. I'm trying to breed my grasshoppers, as well as my darklings beetles. I don't want the ants eating everything. I think I'm gonna drop a couple test tunes with tiny openings in there. Collect the workers and put them back with the original colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users