I am posting to find out the specific type (species? genera? family?) of ant queen I have, I have two that are exactly identical and want to specifically find out if they are claustral, semi claustral etc, and if they are polygamous or not?
1. Location of collection: Edmonton, Alberta, Sturgeon County, Canada. On a gravel road near my house/In walking over a freshly placed pile of topsoil in my backyard.
2. Date of collection: 22/05/2017
3. Habitat of collection: Prairie?
4. Length (from head to gaster): a little under 2 cm, maybe 17 mm, about 5/8 of an inch
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: straight black as far as I can tell.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Larger than other ants about and has noticeable wing muscles and wing scars.
7. Distinguishing behavior: none
8. Nest description: none
[Images of ant]
I can't upload images for some reason so here is an imgur link.
[Images of nest]
[Images of habitat]