• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Texas Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ants Galore - Posted March 12 2018 - 7:58 AM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Anyone have any luck finding Queens this weekend?

Only an Invicta queen as usual :/  :facepalm:

#42 Offline JohnTX - Posted March 12 2018 - 8:34 AM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Only an Invicta queen as usual :/  :facepalm:

Yeah, I only invicta for me as well (2 of them).

#43 Offline itsHYDRO - Posted March 12 2018 - 9:03 AM

itsHYDRO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas
Caught about 8-10 invicta queens, a tiny one with wings I'm not too sure about, and a large queen that looks like camponotus of some sort. Released the invicta, I swear I can find 20+ of them just wandering the sidewalk in my neighborhood on the right day.

#44 Offline Guardian - Posted March 15 2018 - 5:43 PM

Guardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationTownsville, QLD

Only an Invicta queen as usual :/ :facepalm:

Hey, least you have a queen! 🙂 Hoping to have some luck maybe this weekend. We’ll see.

#45 Offline Studio - Posted March 15 2018 - 10:25 PM

Studio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Where the hell are you guys find all these cool species? I'm in Dallas and have found nothing but S. invictas so far..

#46 Offline Superant33 - Posted March 16 2018 - 1:33 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Studio, you need to go anting as far away from urban areas as possible. My luck catching native queens increases 10x when I far away from human development.
  • Ants Galore likes this

#47 Offline Ants Galore - Posted March 21 2018 - 2:27 PM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Studio, you need to go anting as far away from urban areas as possible. My luck catching native queens increases 10x when I far away from human development.

I couldn't agree more. About 1.5 hours from San Antonio I found a colony of Myrmecocystus Mendax on a giant hillside. Also caught a C. Texanus queen from Guadeloupe State Park. :) Four eggs so far. :)

• Superant33 likes this

#48 Offline Toddsnake - Posted March 24 2018 - 5:08 PM

Toddsnake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Anyone finding Camponotus Queens flying yet in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?  Have my blacklight setup out tonight!  The last few weeks just finding RIFA queens!

• Ants Galore likes this

#49 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted March 25 2018 - 9:11 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Anyone finding Camponotus Queens flying yet in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?  Have my blacklight setup out tonight!  The last few weeks just finding RIFA queens!

Where the hell are you guys find all these cool species? I'm in Dallas and have found nothing but S. invictas so far..

Y'all need to lose Dallas and head out to a park or the country. I wouldn't be surprised if you stayed there and never found a single other species but Solenopsis invicta. Head out during Mid-May, that's when you'll have the Camponotus luck. Peer into some rotting wood, and maybe you'll hit the jackpot.

#50 Offline WendigoBlue - Posted March 30 2018 - 12:58 PM

WendigoBlue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Camponotus are flying in DFW, but I haven't seen any invicta yet. @Toddsnake, find any thing with your black light? I'm super interested in setting one up, but I only have a UV flash light. 

Solenopsis invicta 

Camponotus discolor 

#51 Offline Toddsnake - Posted March 30 2018 - 3:35 PM

Toddsnake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

I caught 3 winged ants that night.  I'm a newbie so I really don't know exactly what I caught.  Looks like two different types, pretty sure one of them is RIFA.  Nothing yet big enough to be Camponotus.  I put them in test tube setups and will see what happens.  I have about a dozen in test tubes right now with 3 of them laying eggs now.  Here are some pics of the ones that are laying eggs, not sure they are good enough to do a good identification...?

unknown queen 3 with eggs pic2
unknown queen 3 with eggs pic1
another unknown queen with eggs
unknown queen type with eggs pic2
unknown queen type with eggs pic1

• WendigoBlue likes this

#52 Offline WendigoBlue - Posted March 30 2018 - 3:53 PM

WendigoBlue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I caught 3 winged ants that night.  I'm a newbie so I really don't know exactly what I caught.  Looks like two different types, pretty sure one of them is RIFA.  Nothing yet big enough to be Camponotus.  I put them in test tube setups and will see what happens.  I have about a dozen in test tubes right now with 3 of them laying eggs now.  Here are some pics of the ones that are laying eggs, not sure they are good enough to do a good identification...?

http://www.antwiki.o...enopsis_invictaI used the pictures of the queens to figure out if mine was a RIFA, you might be able to do the same.

I dunno if you'd actually wanna keep a Solenopsis invicta, but I'm loving my queen and can't wait for the first hatchlings. The colonies grow big and fast! They're definitely escape artists though. 

Edited by WendigoBlue, March 30 2018 - 3:55 PM.

Solenopsis invicta 

Camponotus discolor 

#53 Offline Toddsnake - Posted March 30 2018 - 4:09 PM

Toddsnake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Don't really want to keep any RIFA but if I can get some queens started was hoping to do some trading or selling for some Camponotus queens.

Todd

#54 Offline WendigoBlue - Posted March 30 2018 - 6:17 PM

WendigoBlue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You could create a Ants Canada seller profile and trade/sell from there. They have regions where you can buy/sell, its pretty cool!

Edited by WendigoBlue, March 30 2018 - 6:18 PM.

Solenopsis invicta 

Camponotus discolor 

#55 Offline Toddsnake - Posted April 15 2018 - 3:37 PM

Toddsnake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Getting Frustrated with the weather here in the DFW area!  Warms up during the week...Cold on the weekend with 30 mph winds!  Seems like the last month has been like a rollercoaster! Blooming plants and trees don't know what season it is :D  How much effect does this have on the Queen Nuptial Flying Season?  Anyone finding Queens?

Todd

• Spamdy likes this

#56 Offline skb - Posted April 16 2018 - 7:07 PM

skb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston Area

You could create a Ants Canada seller profile and trade/sell from there. They have regions where you can buy/sell, its pretty cool!

Quick question, I've tried contacting a seller using AntsCanada GAN but had no luck getting a response. Any suggestions? I'm in the Houston area and I'm interested in getting a small colony. 

Edited by skb, April 16 2018 - 7:14 PM.

#57 Offline Toddsnake - Posted April 16 2018 - 8:01 PM

Toddsnake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

SKB,  I did the same thing! I could not get any response from the GAN Farmer in College Station....?

#58 Offline skb - Posted April 17 2018 - 7:12 AM

skb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston Area

SKB,  I did the same thing! I could not get any response from the GAN Farmer in College Station....?

Yeah that was the one I was trying for as well!

I’m really surprised it’s this difficult to find someone who is willing to sell. Take my money please!!

#59 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted April 17 2018 - 10:57 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas
Guys, do not buy from the guy in College Station. He’s partnered with someone who sells exotic ants illegally to people without permits across the US.

Edit: I’ll get my hands on a bunch of Pogonomyrmex and Myrmecocystus in late June. I’d be willing to sell them to y’all.

Edited by Ants_Texas, April 17 2018 - 11:00 AM.

• skb likes this

#60 Offline skb - Posted April 19 2018 - 3:14 PM

skb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston Area

Guys, do not buy from the guy in College Station. He’s partnered with someone who sells exotic ants illegally to people without permits across the US.

Edit: I’ll get my hands on a bunch of Pogonomyrmex and Myrmecocystus in late June. I’d be willing to sell them to y’all.

You gonna make me wait THAT long!?? Lol Jk! I really appreciate that! It’s really cool you’d do that, and thanks for the heads up on that guy!
  • Ants_Texas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users